Boko Haram fighters attacked multiple villages across northeastern Nigeria today, killing at least 48 people and destroying massive numbers of homes. One of the villages, Alagarno, was virtually destroyed.
Alagarno is not far from Chibok, from which Boko Haram kidnapped 276 schoolgirls. Alagarno residents reportedly hid on the outskirts of the village and watched as the militants burned many of their homes to the ground.
Officials weren’t forthcoming with details on the attacks, but said they believe Boko Haram has been exploiting local tribal rivalries to recruit more fighters to their cause.
The Nigerian Army reported that the fighting against Boko Haram was going well, and that “victory is close,” disputing reports that the military is suffering from low morale.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Sen. Corker: Trump Must End Intel Clampdown on Khashoggi - October 18th, 2018
- Saudis Mull Blaming Top Intelligence Official for Journalist's Killing - October 18th, 2018
- Trump: Khashoggi Likely Dead, Too Early to Assign Blame - October 18th, 2018
- Taliban Kills Top Afghan Officials in Insider Attack - October 18th, 2018
- US, Israel Send Secret Delegation to Ukraine to Train Against S-300 - October 17th, 2018