Boko Haram fighters attacked multiple villages across northeastern Nigeria today, killing at least 48 people and destroying massive numbers of homes. One of the villages, Alagarno, was virtually destroyed.
Alagarno is not far from Chibok, from which Boko Haram kidnapped 276 schoolgirls. Alagarno residents reportedly hid on the outskirts of the village and watched as the militants burned many of their homes to the ground.
Officials weren’t forthcoming with details on the attacks, but said they believe Boko Haram has been exploiting local tribal rivalries to recruit more fighters to their cause.
The Nigerian Army reported that the fighting against Boko Haram was going well, and that “victory is close,” disputing reports that the military is suffering from low morale.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Russian, Syrian Airstrikes in Aleppo Province Displace Hundreds - December 12th, 2017
- Congress Ignores Trump's Iran Deal Deadline - December 12th, 2017
- Two Islamic Jihad Militants Killed in Gaza Blast - December 12th, 2017
- Trump Signs $692 Billion Military Spending Bill - December 12th, 2017
- USAID Chief: No Sign Saudis Easing Yemen Blockade - December 12th, 2017