Ukraine’s interim government has announced it is placing the military on “full combat alert” against Russia, saying the 40,000 Russian troops deployed near their border could invade at any moment.
If that sounds familiar, it’s because Russia’s had those troops there for a month and a half, and Western officials have been hyping an imminent invasion there the whole time.
Russian officials are sick of hearing about it too, with the Foreign Ministry issuing a statement today telling Ukraine to knock off its “bellicose rhetoric,” saying it was designed at scaring its own population.
Though Russia has insisted they reserve the right to defend Russian citizens in eastern Ukraine from a military crackdown, they deny any specific plans to move into the area. With Ukraine’s troops seemingly unable to cope with the protesters, it seems a moot point at any rate, and the idea that they’re on a serious war footing against Russia seems ridiculous.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Senators Seek Clarification on US Role in Yemen Torture - June 23rd, 2017
- Al-Jazeera Slams Saudi Demand to Shut Them Down - June 23rd, 2017
- United Arab Emirates 'Won't Back Down' if Qatar Doesn't Submit to Demands - June 23rd, 2017
- Saudis Issue Broad List of Demands to Qatar - June 23rd, 2017
- Multiple Bombings Kill 47 Across Pakistan - June 23rd, 2017