Ukraine’s interim government has announced it is placing the military on “full combat alert” against Russia, saying the 40,000 Russian troops deployed near their border could invade at any moment.
If that sounds familiar, it’s because Russia’s had those troops there for a month and a half, and Western officials have been hyping an imminent invasion there the whole time.
Russian officials are sick of hearing about it too, with the Foreign Ministry issuing a statement today telling Ukraine to knock off its “bellicose rhetoric,” saying it was designed at scaring its own population.
Though Russia has insisted they reserve the right to defend Russian citizens in eastern Ukraine from a military crackdown, they deny any specific plans to move into the area. With Ukraine’s troops seemingly unable to cope with the protesters, it seems a moot point at any rate, and the idea that they’re on a serious war footing against Russia seems ridiculous.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Key Iraqi Shi'ite Militia Chief Wants Fighters Placed Under National Army - December 14th, 2017
- US Troops, Syrian Rebels Battle ISIS Near Key Base - December 14th, 2017
- US Will Preposition Jet Fuel in Algeria, Niger to Expand Drone Wars - December 14th, 2017
- US Warplanes Fire Warning Flares at Russian Jets Over Syria - December 14th, 2017
- Iran: US Presentation of Iranian Arms in Yemen Fabricated - December 14th, 2017