The Russian military is holding significant war games in its far west, not far from the border with Ukraine. The war games are adding to international tensions surrounding the Ukraine.
Many, particularly US and Ukrainian officials, have tried to spin this as Russia “massing troops” along the border with Ukraine, and painting it as proof that an invasion is imminent.
In practice the war games were probably meant more as a retaliation for NATO’s myriad wargames along the Ukraine frontier in recent days, and there is no reason to think an invasion is even being pondered.
Ultimately, Russia doesn’t need to invade Ukraine right now, because the troops they were allowed by treaty to keep in the Crimea are more than enough to secure that peninsula through a referendum on secession.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Seeks to Negotiate a Broad Treaty With Iran - September 19th, 2018
- Despite Pledge Not to, Germany Approves Sale of Arms to Saudi Arabia - September 19th, 2018
- State Dept: ISIS, al-Qaeda Adapting After Recent Losses - September 19th, 2018
- Thousands Return Home in Northwest Syria After Deal Prevents Offensive - September 19th, 2018
- North, South Korea to Form Joint Military Committee - September 19th, 2018