An agreed-upon Easter truce in eastern Ukraine lasted only a few hours before the single bloodiest incident of the entire conflict over the area, when attackers opened fire on a protester-run checkpoint in Slovyansk, killing six and wounding an unknown number of people.
Exactly what happened is unclear, as Ukraine’s government insists they did not launch the attack. Russia blamed the neo-Nazi Right Sector for the strike, while the Right Sector insisted the allegation was “blasphemous” and that the Russian military “clearly” staged the entire incident to embarrass them.
Ukraine’s government jumped on the bandwagon, embracing the Right Sector’s explanation and insisting the protesters had staged a “cynical provocation” with the support of Russia’s military intelligence.
Though Ukraine’s military apparently had no role in today’s checkpoint attack, they did attempt to invade Slovyansk last week, in an offensive that failed and ended with many troops refusing orders to attack protesters and surrendering without firing a shot.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Multiple Bombings Kill 47 Across Pakistan - June 23rd, 2017
- Obama Ordered Cyberweapons Implanted Into Russia's Infrastructure - June 23rd, 2017
- Pakistan: We Won't Tolerate Drone Strikes on Our Soil - June 22nd, 2017
- Iraq PM: Destruction of Mosul Mosque Proves ISIS Is Defeated - June 22nd, 2017
- Turkey: US Promised to Take Back Kurds' Arms After ISIS Is Defeated - June 22nd, 2017