An agreed-upon Easter truce in eastern Ukraine lasted only a few hours before the single bloodiest incident of the entire conflict over the area, when attackers opened fire on a protester-run checkpoint in Slovyansk, killing six and wounding an unknown number of people.
Exactly what happened is unclear, as Ukraine’s government insists they did not launch the attack. Russia blamed the neo-Nazi Right Sector for the strike, while the Right Sector insisted the allegation was “blasphemous” and that the Russian military “clearly” staged the entire incident to embarrass them.
Ukraine’s government jumped on the bandwagon, embracing the Right Sector’s explanation and insisting the protesters had staged a “cynical provocation” with the support of Russia’s military intelligence.
Though Ukraine’s military apparently had no role in today’s checkpoint attack, they did attempt to invade Slovyansk last week, in an offensive that failed and ended with many troops refusing orders to attack protesters and surrendering without firing a shot.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Iran FM Says US 'Action Group' Will Fail to Overthrow Iran - August 19th, 2018
- North Korea Praises Trump, Bashes His Critics - August 19th, 2018
- As Afghan President Announces Ceasefire, Pompeo Says 'Time for Peace' - August 19th, 2018
- Iraq Supreme Court Ratifies Election Results, Sadr Still Leads - August 19th, 2018
- Pentagon Spokesman: US to Stay in Iraq as Long as Needed - August 19th, 2018