Condemns Protests Against Ukraine as 'Causing Chaos'
In a high-profile interview today, President Obama downplayed the military risks of plans to deploy US ground troops to Eastern Europe, saying Russia wouldn’t dare confront the US militarily and knows the US troops are “significantly superior.”
The US, of course, spends roughly ten times what Russia does annually on its military, and much of Russia’s military arsenal remains leftovers from the Cold War.
At the same time, there is a very real risk that as the US pushes further and further eastward in Europe, they could precipitate a clash with the Russians at any rate. Any conventional US military advantage is likewise muted by both sides having enough nuclear weapons to exterminate the entire human race many times over.
President Obama’s fascination with repeatedly needling Russia on the issue is also of concern, as he has made multiple statements mocking Russia‘s comparative military weakness, and following them up with demands for Russia to return Crimea to the Ukrainian interim government.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Police Provocations Continue, Ferguson Protests Remain Peaceful - August 19th, 2014
- Iraq's New PM, Like Maliki, Defined by Years of Sectarianism - August 19th, 2014
- Neither Obama Nor Congress Eager for Vote on Iraq - August 19th, 2014
- Israeli Airstrikes on Gaza Kill Woman, Two-Year-Old Girl - August 19th, 2014
- Pakistani Military Takes Red Zone as Protests Near Parliament - August 19th, 2014