Condemns Protests Against Ukraine as 'Causing Chaos'
In a high-profile interview today, President Obama downplayed the military risks of plans to deploy US ground troops to Eastern Europe, saying Russia wouldn’t dare confront the US militarily and knows the US troops are “significantly superior.”
The US, of course, spends roughly ten times what Russia does annually on its military, and much of Russia’s military arsenal remains leftovers from the Cold War.
At the same time, there is a very real risk that as the US pushes further and further eastward in Europe, they could precipitate a clash with the Russians at any rate. Any conventional US military advantage is likewise muted by both sides having enough nuclear weapons to exterminate the entire human race many times over.
President Obama’s fascination with repeatedly needling Russia on the issue is also of concern, as he has made multiple statements mocking Russia‘s comparative military weakness, and following them up with demands for Russia to return Crimea to the Ukrainian interim government.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Protests Over Troop Deaths Shut Down Iraqi Parliament - September 2nd, 2014
- US-Backed Capture of Iraq's Amerli Fuels Fear of Revenge Killings - September 1st, 2014
- Vaunted 'Secular Rebels' Annoyed They Are Left Out of US Plans for Syria - September 1st, 2014
- Ukraine Hypes 'Great War': 'Worst Since WW2' - September 1st, 2014
- Tripoli Falls: Libya No Longer Controls Most Government Buildings - September 1st, 2014