After a serious of increasingly hysterical estimates of the number of Russian troops involved in training operations along the border with Ukraine, US defense officials are finally weighing in on the matter.
Yesterday, Rep. Michael Turner (R – OH) claimed 80,000 and Ukraine claimed 100,000 troops. The US military doesn’t have exact figures but says its less than half that, somewhere between 35,000 and 40,000.
European officials offered estimates that were roughly in line with the official US one, saying they believe there are more than 30,000 Russian troops there.
US officials are trying to portray the deployment as an aggressive move, and Ukraine is keen to spin it as a sign of imminent invasion, in the hopes of getting major foreign aid offers rushed through.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Philippine Police Conduct Door-to-Door Drug Tests in Manila's Poor Neighborhoods - August 23rd, 2017
- Lockheed, Raytheon Get Contracts for New Nuclear Cruise Missile - August 23rd, 2017
- 16 Years Into War, Taliban's Presence Across Afghanistan Growing - August 23rd, 2017
- Yemen's Houthis Ban Political Activity Ahead of Planned Capital Rally - August 23rd, 2017
- US Has Thousands More Troops in Afghanistan Than Official Figure - August 23rd, 2017