After a serious of increasingly hysterical estimates of the number of Russian troops involved in training operations along the border with Ukraine, US defense officials are finally weighing in on the matter.
Yesterday, Rep. Michael Turner (R – OH) claimed 80,000 and Ukraine claimed 100,000 troops. The US military doesn’t have exact figures but says its less than half that, somewhere between 35,000 and 40,000.
European officials offered estimates that were roughly in line with the official US one, saying they believe there are more than 30,000 Russian troops there.
US officials are trying to portray the deployment as an aggressive move, and Ukraine is keen to spin it as a sign of imminent invasion, in the hopes of getting major foreign aid offers rushed through.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- White House Corrects Tillerson, Rejects North Korea Talks - December 13th, 2017
- White House Accuses Abbas of 'Preventing Peace' With Criticism - December 13th, 2017
- US Expected to Sanction Iran Because of Worsening Conditions in Yemen - December 13th, 2017
- Saudi Airstrikes Against Yemen Capital Kill 39 - December 13th, 2017
- Yemen's Pro-Saleh Faction, Houthis Make a Deal to End Dispute - December 13th, 2017