Though there is no indication of any moves along the border itself, US officials are playing up the “threat” of a Russian invasion of Ukraine at some point in the future, saying they reckon the likelihood has increased.
The official Pentagon estimate remains 20,000 Russian troops along the Ukraine frontier, engaged in training exercises in the area. Yet the numbers are constantly being challenged as insufficiently scary, and others are suggesting much grander figures.
Rep. Michael Turner (R – OH) claimed he figured there could be as many as 80,000 Russian troops in the border area, terming that cause for alarm. Ukrainian officials, not to be outdone, came back with a claim of 100,000 Russian troops.
Pentagon officials were reportedly skeptical of the claims, which they said sound much too high. Russia assured the Pentagon last week that they don’t intend to invade Ukraine.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Cluster Bomb Attack Against East Syrian Village Kills at Least 30 Civilians - June 28th, 2017
- Russia: Trump and Putin Probably Should Talk During Hamburg Summit - June 28th, 2017
- US Special Forces Deployed to Kurdish City on Turkish Border - June 28th, 2017
- ISIS Looks to Expand Presence in Northern Afghanistan - June 28th, 2017
- South Korea Leader Reverses Stance, Now Backs Trump Against North Korea - June 28th, 2017