Though there is no indication of any moves along the border itself, US officials are playing up the “threat” of a Russian invasion of Ukraine at some point in the future, saying they reckon the likelihood has increased.
The official Pentagon estimate remains 20,000 Russian troops along the Ukraine frontier, engaged in training exercises in the area. Yet the numbers are constantly being challenged as insufficiently scary, and others are suggesting much grander figures.
Rep. Michael Turner (R – OH) claimed he figured there could be as many as 80,000 Russian troops in the border area, terming that cause for alarm. Ukrainian officials, not to be outdone, came back with a claim of 100,000 Russian troops.
Pentagon officials were reportedly skeptical of the claims, which they said sound much too high. Russia assured the Pentagon last week that they don’t intend to invade Ukraine.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syrian Army, Allies Advance Against Rebel-Held Idlib - December 10th, 2017
- Protests Across Middle East Against Trump's Jerusalem Declaration - December 8th, 2017
- Two Dead, Hundreds Wounded in Palestinian 'Day of Rage' - December 8th, 2017
- Israeli Airstrikes Pound Gaza After Rocket Hits Sderot - December 8th, 2017
- White House Again Calls on Saudis to End Yemen Blockade - December 8th, 2017