Following up on yesterday’s promise of more deployments to the region, the United States has sent six F-15 fighter planes to the Baltic States for NATO air patrols.
Lithuanian Defense Minister Juozas Olekas confirmed the deployments, saying they were a response not just to Ukraine but to “additional military activity in the Kaliningrad region.”
Kaliningrad is a Russian exclave on the Baltic, formerly East Prussia. Olekas claimed significant increases in military operations there in the past four days, but exactly what form they took is unclear.
Lithuanian President Dalia Grybauskaite said the deployment proved NATO is responding “promptly and fast” to the Ukraine situation, saying it underscored that “Russia today is dangerous” and needed to be countered militarily.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Palestinians Slam Planned US Embassy Move to Jerusalem - February 23rd, 2018
- White House Orders Military Parade for Veterans Day - February 23rd, 2018
- Turkish Army Attacks Afrin Convoy, Kurds Say It Was Full of Aid - February 23rd, 2018
- Nigeria Sends More Troops to Look for Missing Girls - February 23rd, 2018
- Trump Vows 'Largest Ever' North Korea Sanctions, Threatens Ominous 'Phase Two' - February 23rd, 2018