An unnamed US official has come out today and confirmed that the Obama Administration remains opposed to Saudi shipments of anti-aircraft missiles to Syrian rebels, though indications are that much shipments are set to begin.
Saudi officials confirmed last week that they were planning to begin shipments of Chinese shoulder-mounted MANPADs to “tip the balance” of the ongoing civil war.
The big concern is that even the “moderate” rebel factions have said they intend to attack civilian aircraft when they get such weapons, believing any plane in Syrian airspace is a “legitimate target.”
It isn’t clear how deep the US “opposition” goes anymore, however, as while the Saudis had previously held back the shipments at the behest of the US, the official statements from the US don’t seem to be slowing them this time around.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Al-Qaeda Fighters Kill 22 Syrian Troops Near Idlib - November 16th, 2018
- US Opposes UNGA Resolution Calling on Israel to Return Golan Heights - November 16th, 2018
- US to Accuse Iran of Capacity to Violate Chemical Weapons Ban - November 16th, 2018
- Israel Coalition Falters as Netanyahu Takes Top Positions - November 16th, 2018
- Report: CIA Concludes Saudi Crown Prince Ordered Khashoggi's Murder - November 16th, 2018