Al-Qaeda faction Jabhat al-Nusra has confirmed that the suicide bomber who initially hit the wall of Aleppo prison at the start of last week’s protracted battle and jail break was Abu Suleiman al-Britani, a British citizen.
British officials told the BBC that the attacker was “probably British” and that they are still trying to identify him specifically, with MI5 leading an investigation in Sussex.
If confirmed, he is the first British citizen to carry out a suicide bombing during the Syrian Civil War. Britain is believed to have over 100 citizens inside Syria, mostly fighting for Islamist factions.
British officials say that other British jihadists engaged in torture and execution of prisoners. There is a major concern that citizens of EU nations like Britain will return home from the Syrian war with close ties to al-Qaeda and passports that will allow them access to virtually anywhere in the world to carry out bombings.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Cleric Sadr Calls for Delay in Forming Iraqi Govt as Protests Grow - July 19th, 2018
- Putin: Talks on Extending START Nuclear Treaty Must Start Now - July 19th, 2018
- Trump Invites Putin to White House for Second Summit - July 19th, 2018
- Afghan Defense Ministry Confirms Civilians Killed in Kunduz Airstrike - July 19th, 2018
- Trump Says Critics Badly Want War With Russia - July 19th, 2018