The Obama Administration has been constantly harping on Iraq to block flights from Iran to Syria, claiming those flights are filled with weapons and fighters for Syria’s ongoing civil war.
The claim has been reiterated a lot, but Iraq has searched a lot of Iranian planes and never found anything in the way of weaponry. Instead of admitting their mistake, the US is just angry at Iraq for “not doing enough.”
That was the message from State Department official Brett McGurk, who insisted that the US “continue to press the issue” with Iraq, and that they keep doing inspections but not coming up with the weapons the US was hoping to discover.
The US doesn’t have that problem with its own weapons smuggling operations into Syria, with those arms flowing in through Turkey and Jordan without any real problem, except for the tendency of al-Qaeda factions to rob the warehouses they are stored in once they arrive in Syria.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Russian DM: Israeli Warplanes Caused Shoot-down of Russian Plane Near Syria; 15 Troops Killed - September 18th, 2018
- Taliban Kill at Least 27 Security Forces in Attacks Across Afghanistan - September 17th, 2018
- Iraq to Deploy More Troops to Turkey Border - September 17th, 2018
- North and South Korea Push to End Korean War, but U.S. Opposes - September 17th, 2018
- US Air Force Pushes for Massive Increase in Spending - September 17th, 2018