Like most US diplomats, Secretary of State John Kerry is surely familiar with the formula of angrily condemning Iran and threatening war for perceived or future slights. One might even call it second nature.
But even with Kerry trying to talk up the merits of a nuclear deal with Iran in an al-Arabiya interview, he couldn’t get through the whole thing without threatening “the military option” against Iran.
Kerry said the US military is poised to attack Iran at any moment if they try to continue enrichment of uranium beyond permitted levels, a threat which would’ve made a lot more sense if the IAEA hadn’t already confirmed days ago that Iran has halted that enrichment and is complying with the deal.
Kerry went on to demand Iran stop all support for Hezbollah, saying they were prepared to “engage with Iran on other issues,” but that attacking Iran will always remain a possibility.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Cleric Sadr Calls for Delay in Forming Iraqi Govt as Protests Grow - July 19th, 2018
- Putin: Talks on Extending START Nuclear Treaty Must Start Now - July 19th, 2018
- Trump Invites Putin to White House for Second Summit - July 19th, 2018
- Afghan Defense Ministry Confirms Civilians Killed in Kunduz Airstrike - July 19th, 2018
- Trump Says Critics Badly Want War With Russia - July 19th, 2018