A growing diplomatic row over the arrest and strip-searching of a top Indian diplomat in the United States has escalated further, with Indian police removing security barriers from the outskirts of the US Embassy.
The concrete barricades were intended to keep vehicles from ramming the embassy compound, and were dragged away by police tow trucks earlier today. The embassy remains surrounded by a high wall.
The State Department says it has warned India that it expects them to guarantee the security of the embassy, and declined comment on the “sensitive” issues India is complaining about.
India’s National Security Adviser condemned the treatment of Devyani Khobragade, the deputy consul general in New York, saying it was “barbaric.” She was accused of submitting false documents for the work visa of her housekeeper.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Major Clashes in Libyan Capital, at Least 20 Killed, Airport Closed - January 15th, 2018
- Aid Cranes Arrive at Key North Yemen Port of Hodeidah - January 15th, 2018
- Russia FM: Zone for US-Backed Rebels Could Split Syria - January 15th, 2018
- Syrian Army Vow to End US Presence in Syria - January 15th, 2018
- Syrian Rebels Push US to Resume Failed CIA Arms Smuggling Scheme - January 15th, 2018