A growing diplomatic row over the arrest and strip-searching of a top Indian diplomat in the United States has escalated further, with Indian police removing security barriers from the outskirts of the US Embassy.
The concrete barricades were intended to keep vehicles from ramming the embassy compound, and were dragged away by police tow trucks earlier today. The embassy remains surrounded by a high wall.
The State Department says it has warned India that it expects them to guarantee the security of the embassy, and declined comment on the “sensitive” issues India is complaining about.
India’s National Security Adviser condemned the treatment of Devyani Khobragade, the deputy consul general in New York, saying it was “barbaric.” She was accused of submitting false documents for the work visa of her housekeeper.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Catalonia Threatens Civil Disobedience as Spain Prepares Takeover - October 23rd, 2017
- Senators 'Stunned' to Learn US Has 1,000 Troops in Niger - October 23rd, 2017
- US to Put Nuclear Bombers Back on 24-Hour Alert - October 23rd, 2017
- Niger Mayor: Villagers Suspected of Helping in Ambush of US Troops - October 23rd, 2017
- Iraqi Troops Build Up Near Key Kurdish Oil Export Pipeline - October 23rd, 2017