Israeli officials are once again “furious” with the Obama Administration today after yesterday’s White House confirmation that Israel was responsible for the Wednesday attack on Syria’s port city of Latakia.
The strike targeted a Syrian air base on Wednesday evening, and the White House confirmed it was an Israeli attack to CNN the following morning. Israeli officials say they don’t believe Syria will retaliate for the attack.
But analysts on Israeli TV stations expressed concern that now that there was a public acknowledgement of Israeli culpability in the attack, it could start a regional war, and it would be the White House’s fault for spilling the beans.
Of course, Syria would’ve already known who was responsible, and with Lebanon confirming hours of overflights by Israeli warplanes heading in the direction of Latakia, it wasn’t a big secret to anyone else either. The White House confirmation seems rather an attempt by the US to distance itself from the attack ahead of peace talks.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Israel-Hamas Ceasefire Talks Halt Amid PA Threats - September 23rd, 2018
- China Cancels US Military Talks to Protest Sanctions - September 23rd, 2018
- US Airstrike Kills 18 in Southern Somalia - September 23rd, 2018
- Syrian Observatory: US-Led Coalition Killed 3,300 Civilians in Four Years - September 23rd, 2018
- Jihadist Group Rejects Turkey-Russia Deal on Syria's Idlib - September 23rd, 2018