Israeli officials are once again “furious” with the Obama Administration today after yesterday’s White House confirmation that Israel was responsible for the Wednesday attack on Syria’s port city of Latakia.
The strike targeted a Syrian air base on Wednesday evening, and the White House confirmed it was an Israeli attack to CNN the following morning. Israeli officials say they don’t believe Syria will retaliate for the attack.
But analysts on Israeli TV stations expressed concern that now that there was a public acknowledgement of Israeli culpability in the attack, it could start a regional war, and it would be the White House’s fault for spilling the beans.
Of course, Syria would’ve already known who was responsible, and with Lebanon confirming hours of overflights by Israeli warplanes heading in the direction of Latakia, it wasn’t a big secret to anyone else either. The White House confirmation seems rather an attempt by the US to distance itself from the attack ahead of peace talks.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Netanyahu Tells UN Chief That Golan Is Forever Israel's - February 16th, 2018
- Netanyahu Blocks West Bank Annexation, But Backs Taking More Control - February 16th, 2018
- Pentagon Watchdog: No Significant Progress Made in Afghanistan - February 16th, 2018
- Turkish Army Accused of Hitting Syria's Afrin With Gas Attack - February 16th, 2018
- US, Turkey Agree to Avoid Clash Over Manbij - February 16th, 2018