Reports in the Israeli and Palestinian media continue to fly about the putative resignation of chief Palestinian peace negotiator Saeb Erekat, following repeated complaints about Israel’s settlement expansion.
That’s a big deal, except Erekat himself insists it never happened, and says he is still planning to go to next week’s meetings with Israeli officials and Secretary of State John Kerry.
The PA is facing growing domestic criticism about the lack of progress, and particularly their inability to keep Israel sticking to its pledges to limit settlement construction during the talks.
Israeli officials insist the whole thing amounts to Erekat “putting on a show” ahead of Kerry’s visit, though the US appears just as incapable of doing anything about the settlements as the PA does.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Palestinian Authority Threatens to Cut All Gaza Funds - August 21st, 2017
- Report: ISIS Attacks Grew in 2016, Despite Shrinking Territory - August 21st, 2017
- Trump Promises to 'Deal With Pakistan' on Afghan War - August 21st, 2017
- Trump Declares Open-Ended War in Afghanistan - August 21st, 2017
- Trump's Pentagon to Spend Nearly $500 Million on Gitmo Construction - August 21st, 2017