Reports in the Israeli and Palestinian media continue to fly about the putative resignation of chief Palestinian peace negotiator Saeb Erekat, following repeated complaints about Israel’s settlement expansion.
That’s a big deal, except Erekat himself insists it never happened, and says he is still planning to go to next week’s meetings with Israeli officials and Secretary of State John Kerry.
The PA is facing growing domestic criticism about the lack of progress, and particularly their inability to keep Israel sticking to its pledges to limit settlement construction during the talks.
Israeli officials insist the whole thing amounts to Erekat “putting on a show” ahead of Kerry’s visit, though the US appears just as incapable of doing anything about the settlements as the PA does.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Catalan Leader Seeks to Vote by Proxy to Avoid Arrest by Spain - January 18th, 2018
- Israeli Army Considers Seizing Palestinian Neighborhoods in Jerusalem - January 18th, 2018
- US Urges Turkey to Focus on ISIS, Not Attack Syrian Kurds - January 18th, 2018
- US to Withhold $45 Million in Pledged Palestinian Food Aid 'For Now' - January 18th, 2018
- Syria Threatens to Destroy Any Invading Turkish Warplanes - January 18th, 2018