Logar Provincial Governor Arsallah Jamal was assassinated today in the provincial capital city of Puli Alam, as he was delivering a speech in the mosque to commemorate Eid al-Adha.
During the speech, a bomb planted inside of the microphone Jamal was speaking into detonated, killing him and wounding 15 other people. There has been no claim of responsibility yet, but it is presumably a Taliban strike.
Jamal was seen as a particularly close ally of President Hamid Karzai, who condemned the attack as a violation of Islam, and the work of “terrorists and Taliban.”
Jamal is the highest profile Afghan government figure killed so far this year, and the fact that Jamal was the only person slain suggests he was almost certainly being targeted directly.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Poland Offers US $2 Billion to Establish a Permanent Military Base - September 18th, 2018
- Moon: North Korea Agrees to Allow Nuclear Inspections - September 18th, 2018
- Fate of Syria's Idlib Deal Rests on What al-Qaeda Does Next - September 18th, 2018
- South Korean President Greeted in North With Calls for Peace, Reunification - September 18th, 2018
- North, South Korea Leaders Agree to Rekindle Stalled Nuclear Talks - September 18th, 2018