Logar Provincial Governor Arsallah Jamal was assassinated today in the provincial capital city of Puli Alam, as he was delivering a speech in the mosque to commemorate Eid al-Adha.
During the speech, a bomb planted inside of the microphone Jamal was speaking into detonated, killing him and wounding 15 other people. There has been no claim of responsibility yet, but it is presumably a Taliban strike.
Jamal was seen as a particularly close ally of President Hamid Karzai, who condemned the attack as a violation of Islam, and the work of “terrorists and Taliban.”
Jamal is the highest profile Afghan government figure killed so far this year, and the fact that Jamal was the only person slain suggests he was almost certainly being targeted directly.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Israeli Tanks Attack Syrian Army Post Over Errant Mortar Fire - October 19th, 2017
- Syrian Kurds Holding Foreign ISIS Leaders - October 19th, 2017
- ISIS Seizes Villages South of Kirkuk as Iraq Focuses on Kurds - October 19th, 2017
- Pentagon Opens Niger Ambush Probe, Seeking Details on What Happened - October 19th, 2017
- State Dept Contradicts Trump on Cuba 'Attack' Accusation - October 19th, 2017