Just one day after coming out in opposition to an attack on Syria and insisting that they were supporting a diplomatic solution brokered through the United Nations, the European Union has shifted again, and they now appear to be supporting the attack.
In their latest statement, the EU declared support for a “clear and strong” move against Syria, insisting that there was “strong evidence” of chemical weapons use by the Syrian government.
At the same time, the EU position appeared to have run afoul of the current US position by urging them to wait until the United Nations inspectors finish their report before taking any action. The US has opposed the UN inspection in general.
The Obama Administration is presenting the statement as proof that support for the war is growing, claiming that the number of countries will to be involved is “now in the double digits,” though it is unclear if the EU statement means any of them, apart from France, will be involved.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syrian Rebels Began Evacuating Golan for North - July 20th, 2018
- Syrian, Russian Warplanes Kill 26 Civilians in Strikes on Southern ISIS Towns - July 20th, 2018
- US Urges Strict UN Sanctions on North Korea Until Denuclearization Finished - July 20th, 2018
- Merkel: Europe Can't Rely on US to Impose World Order - July 20th, 2018
- Israel, Hamas Reach Another Ceasefire After Five Killed in Friday Clashes - July 20th, 2018