Claims of Better, Secret Proof Continue
The Obama Administration has repeatedly insisted that it has undeniable, absolute proof of the Assad government’s guilt in the use of chemical weapons, but when it comes down to it, the public case never seems to amount to more than just noting that Syria has chemical weapons and then reiterating the claim.
Experts say the case that they have laid out is extremely weak, however much officials have embraced it as flawless, and have warned against the US launching a war on such a flimsy pretext.
The only reason the whole allegation hasn’t been dismissed out of hand is the administration’s repeated claims that they have better, secret intelligence that they’re just not showing anyone, or occasionally are letting already pro-war Congressmen get a glimpse of.
With a Congressional vote looming in a little over a week, the administration will continue to float the secret evidence as a way of trying to coax Congressmen on board, but so long as that evidence remains hidden from the general public, it’s viability must inevitably remain in serious doubt.
Antiwar.com urges all readers to contact their Congressmen and urge them to vote against attacking Syria. Click here for contract information.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Trump Admin. Approves, Then Blocks, Informal North Korea Talks - February 26th, 2017
- Landmines Complicate Civilians' Flight From Mosul - February 26th, 2017
- Iraq's West Mosul Invasion Slows to a Crawl - February 26th, 2017
- Dozens Killed in Suicide Attacks in Syria's Homs - February 26th, 2017
- With Pentagon Help, Iraqi Warplanes Bomb Syria - February 26th, 2017