Selling Syrian President Bashar Assad as a big enough villain to be worth sending the US military forth to slay is going pretty straightforwardly like it always does, with Secretary of State John Kerry explicitly likening the Syrian ruler to Adolf Hitler.
Kerry insisted Assad, in having been accused of using chemical weapons, “joins the list of Adolf Hitler and Saddam Hussein who have used these weapons in time of war.” Kerry explicitly qualified it as post-1925 to avoid cluttering the list with literally everybody involved in World War 1 and subsequent fights over the next several years, including repeated uses by British forces.
Kerry went on to claim that the US had conducted tests that proved that the victims of the Jobar Incident were exposed to sarin, insisting that it was obviously the Assad government’s doing.
Yet sarin has also been put forward as a chemical weapon of choice for Islamist rebel factions, both by those factions bragging about their ability to produce it and the UN saying there was strong evidence that the rebels had used it against Syrian troops in the spring.
Either way, the UN has not issued its findings on the samples it has taken, and is not expected to do so for at least another week or two. The US evidence was not able to be independently verified.
Antiwar.com urges all readers to contact their Congressmen and urge them to vote against attacking Syria. Click here for contract information.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Cluster Bomb Attack Against East Syrian Village Kills at Least 30 Civilians - June 28th, 2017
- Russia: Trump and Putin Probably Should Talk During Hamburg Summit - June 28th, 2017
- US Special Forces Deployed to Kurdish City on Turkish Border - June 28th, 2017
- ISIS Looks to Expand Presence in Northern Afghanistan - June 28th, 2017
- South Korea Leader Reverses Stance, Now Backs Trump Against North Korea - June 28th, 2017