Selling Syrian President Bashar Assad as a big enough villain to be worth sending the US military forth to slay is going pretty straightforwardly like it always does, with Secretary of State John Kerry explicitly likening the Syrian ruler to Adolf Hitler.
Kerry insisted Assad, in having been accused of using chemical weapons, “joins the list of Adolf Hitler and Saddam Hussein who have used these weapons in time of war.” Kerry explicitly qualified it as post-1925 to avoid cluttering the list with literally everybody involved in World War 1 and subsequent fights over the next several years, including repeated uses by British forces.
Kerry went on to claim that the US had conducted tests that proved that the victims of the Jobar Incident were exposed to sarin, insisting that it was obviously the Assad government’s doing.
Yet sarin has also been put forward as a chemical weapon of choice for Islamist rebel factions, both by those factions bragging about their ability to produce it and the UN saying there was strong evidence that the rebels had used it against Syrian troops in the spring.
Either way, the UN has not issued its findings on the samples it has taken, and is not expected to do so for at least another week or two. The US evidence was not able to be independently verified.
Antiwar.com urges all readers to contact their Congressmen and urge them to vote against attacking Syria. Click here for contract information.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Two Koreas, UN Command Agree to Withdraw All Arms From Truce Village - October 22nd, 2018
- NATO Sends 50,000 Troops to Largest Exercise Since Cold War - October 22nd, 2018
- Bolton Visits Moscow, Denies Plans to Blackmail Russia Over Nuclear Treaty - October 22nd, 2018
- CIA Has Heard Audio Recording of Khashoggi's Death - October 22nd, 2018
- Trump 'Not Satisfied' After Talking With Saudi Crown Prince - October 22nd, 2018