The Syrian government is continuing to reject allegations that it launched the August 21 chemical weapons attack at the center of the so-called Jobar Incident, being used as an excuse for an impending US war on Syria. They say the rebels did it, and they’re putting forward evidence.
The Syrian government has also presented some evidence to the United Nations of three other, smaller rebel chemical attacks in the general vicinity of the first strike, carried out on the 22nd, 24th and 25th, and targeting Syrian soldiers.
Unfortunately the evidence, as with the US “evidence” of Syria’s guilt, isn’t being released to the public but just to the UN. There had been some reporting over the weekend that gives credence to this reports, however.
On Saturday the 24th, reports emerged of a Syrian government raid on tunnels in Jobar uncovering a rebel-run chemical lab, and soldiers involved in the raid were said to have been overwhelmed by fumes in those same tunnels. On Monday, there were reports of Hezbollah fighters returning to Lebanon to receive treatment after coming into contact with rebel chemical agents in Jobar over the weekend.
Indeed, Syrian Islamist rebel factions have long bragged about their makeshift chemical weapons program, a fact often ignored by Western officials. The UN investigation could likely ascertain whether the attacks were really advanced Syrian military arms or the more primitive rebel variety, but US officials have rejected calls to wait the few days it’ll take the UN to finish up with that.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Military's 'Prime Focus' Will Be Competing With Russia, China - January 19th, 2018
- NGO: US-Led Coalition Civilian Killings Tripled in Iraq and Syria in 2017 - January 19th, 2018
- Russia FM: US Creating 'Alternative Bodies of Authority' in Syria - January 19th, 2018
- US: Turkish Attack on Syrian Kurds 'Destabilizing' - January 19th, 2018
- Turkey Escalates Shelling, Says 'No Turning Back' From Syria Invasion - January 19th, 2018