A team of US mediators were expected to be a key portion of the Israel-Palestinian peace talks, but so far they haven’t participated in a single meeting, according to Palestinian officials familiar with the situation.
PLO official Hanan Ashrawi says that the US team was cut out of the talks because of Israeli demands. Ashrawi says that she believes the US was removed to allow Israel to be even harsher with their negotiating terms.
Israeli officials declined comment on the matter, noting that they had promised US officials not to discuss any of the details of the peace process. The US has likewise declined comment so far.
Either way, the US had previously promised to be at the center of the talks, mediating the process, and the indications are that they have been uninvolved. Whatever the reason, the absence of US officials at the talks is clearly disturbing to the Palestinian leadership, and that’s a bad sign for the talks.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Israeli Tanks Attack Syrian Army Post Over Errant Mortar Fire - October 19th, 2017
- Syrian Kurds Holding Foreign ISIS Leaders - October 19th, 2017
- ISIS Seizes Villages South of Kirkuk as Iraq Focuses on Kurds - October 19th, 2017
- Pentagon Opens Niger Ambush Probe, Seeking Details on What Happened - October 19th, 2017
- State Dept Contradicts Trump on Cuba 'Attack' Accusation - October 19th, 2017