Despite the Yemeni government already terming the terror plot in their nation “foiled,” US drones continue to pound the nation’s south and southeast, with three more attacks reported today in Maarib and Hadramawt Provinces, killing six in Maarib and three each in two attacks on Hadramawt.
The latest two attacks targeted cars, and none of the slain were identified, though all have been dubbed “suspected militants” as is common practice in Yemen whenever the US kills somebody.
The latest strikes mark eight in the last 10 days, with 34 reported killed overall. None of the victims of any of the strikes have been identified by name, and mostly the drones targeted cars traveling from one town to another.
Officials have suggested the strikes were part of a campaign to foil a plot by al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) to take over several cities, mostly in Hadramawt, though since Yemen already dubbed that plot foiled it is unclear why the strikes are continuing.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Multiple Bombings Kill 40 Across Pakistan - June 23rd, 2017
- Obama Ordered Cyberweapons Implanted Into Russia's Infrastructure - June 23rd, 2017
- Pakistan: We Won't Tolerate Drone Strikes on Our Soil - June 22nd, 2017
- Iraq PM: Destruction of Mosul Mosque Proves ISIS Is Defeated - June 22nd, 2017
- Turkey: US Promised to Take Back Kurds' Arms After ISIS Is Defeated - June 22nd, 2017