Despite the Yemeni government already terming the terror plot in their nation “foiled,” US drones continue to pound the nation’s south and southeast, with three more attacks reported today in Maarib and Hadramawt Provinces, killing six in Maarib and three each in two attacks on Hadramawt.
The latest two attacks targeted cars, and none of the slain were identified, though all have been dubbed “suspected militants” as is common practice in Yemen whenever the US kills somebody.
The latest strikes mark eight in the last 10 days, with 34 reported killed overall. None of the victims of any of the strikes have been identified by name, and mostly the drones targeted cars traveling from one town to another.
Officials have suggested the strikes were part of a campaign to foil a plot by al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) to take over several cities, mostly in Hadramawt, though since Yemen already dubbed that plot foiled it is unclear why the strikes are continuing.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Trump Again Gets Caught Up in Prediction of Syria Victory 'by Tonight' - March 21st, 2019
- Pompeo Threatens to Curb Israel Ties Over Growing Israeli Trade With China - March 21st, 2019
- Bolton Vows Action Against Venezuela's Maduro, Says 'the Window Is Closing' - March 21st, 2019
- Pentagon Sends B-52 Bombers to Europe for Exercises Amid Tensions With Russia - March 21st, 2019
- Trump Endorses Israeli Annexation of Golan Heights - March 21st, 2019