In an interview with Iranian media, US State Department spokesman Alan Eyre confirmed that he is offering bilateral talks between the US and Iranian governments
Mysteriously, the interview was posted on Fars News, the Iranian outlet’s website, and then removed almost immediately thereafter. Persian language versions remain on several other Iranian sites, and the State Department confirmed its authenticity.
The US seems willing to talk, but loathe to admit its willingness, which likely suggests the lack of any publicity for the offer by the State Department, beyond confirming it when pressed on the matter.
The offer comes immediately after a new, bizarre round of US sanctions against Iran, including a wholesale ban on the importation of coal, bauxite, and virtually anything made of metal. The move reflects that even when the US is willing to talk, there is a lot of momentum toward continuing hostility.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Afghan Officials Warn Malistan District on the Verge of Collapse - November 12th, 2018
- Taliban Overrun West Afghanistan District, Killing 37 Police and Civilians - November 12th, 2018
- Taliban Slaughter Elite Afghan Troops, as 'Safe' District Is Falling - November 12th, 2018
- North Korea Warns US-South Korea Drills Violate Agreement - November 12th, 2018
- IAEA Report Shows Iran Continues to Honor Nuclear Deal - November 12th, 2018