In an interview with Iranian media, US State Department spokesman Alan Eyre confirmed that he is offering bilateral talks between the US and Iranian governments
Mysteriously, the interview was posted on Fars News, the Iranian outlet’s website, and then removed almost immediately thereafter. Persian language versions remain on several other Iranian sites, and the State Department confirmed its authenticity.
The US seems willing to talk, but loathe to admit its willingness, which likely suggests the lack of any publicity for the offer by the State Department, beyond confirming it when pressed on the matter.
The offer comes immediately after a new, bizarre round of US sanctions against Iran, including a wholesale ban on the importation of coal, bauxite, and virtually anything made of metal. The move reflects that even when the US is willing to talk, there is a lot of momentum toward continuing hostility.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- South Korea Turns Off Loudspeakers Aimed at North Korea - April 23rd, 2018
- Saudi Warplanes Attack Wedding Party in NW Yemen, Killing Dozens - April 23rd, 2018
- Senate Panel OKs Pompeo After Rand Paul Flip - April 23rd, 2018
- Iraq Says 36 ISIS Killed in Thursday's Syria Strike - April 22nd, 2018
- Trump Denies Making Too Many Concessions to North Korea - April 22nd, 2018