In an interview with Iranian media, US State Department spokesman Alan Eyre confirmed that he is offering bilateral talks between the US and Iranian governments
Mysteriously, the interview was posted on Fars News, the Iranian outlet’s website, and then removed almost immediately thereafter. Persian language versions remain on several other Iranian sites, and the State Department confirmed its authenticity.
The US seems willing to talk, but loathe to admit its willingness, which likely suggests the lack of any publicity for the offer by the State Department, beyond confirming it when pressed on the matter.
The offer comes immediately after a new, bizarre round of US sanctions against Iran, including a wholesale ban on the importation of coal, bauxite, and virtually anything made of metal. The move reflects that even when the US is willing to talk, there is a lot of momentum toward continuing hostility.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Foreign ISIS Fighters Left in Raqqa Face 'Certain Death' - October 22nd, 2017
- US-Made Vehicles Led Iraqi Invasion of Kurdish Town - October 22nd, 2017
- Niger Ambush Serves as Excuse for AFRICOM to Seek More Funds - October 22nd, 2017
- Catalan Leaders Vow to Resist Spain's Attempted Takeover - October 22nd, 2017
- Spain Seeks Huge Power Transfer in Trying to Oust Catalan Leadership - October 22nd, 2017