More Than 25 Others Wounded in Peshawar Strike
A suicide bomber hit a major Shi’ite mosque in Peshawar today, detonating himself in front of a crowd of worshipers whilst being chased by security guards. He was the only one of a group of three bombers that managed to get inside, and he left 15 people killed, and more than 25 others wounded.
Guards outside the mosque, deep in a Shi’ite neighborhood on the outskirts of the major city, caught the three trying to enter with suicide vests. The other two would-be attackers fled, and apparently haven’t been located since.
So far no group has claimed responsibility, but there are several Sunni militant groups operating in the area around Peshawar, and some of them exclusively target the nation’s Shi’ite minority.
Mosque attacks are an increasingly common sight across Pakistan. Though the Peshawar bombing was the largest, another attack against a Sunni mosque in Karachi killed a provincial MP and his son.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Iraq Detains Sunni Women to Intimidate Families Into Opposing ISIS - July 22nd, 2014
- No Place Is Safe as Israel Pounds Civilian Areas in Gaza - July 22nd, 2014
- Israeli Envoy: Our Military Deserves Nobel Peace Prize for Not Killing More Gazans - July 22nd, 2014
- Israeli Attacks on Gaza Continue: 693 Palestinians, 34 Israelis Dead - July 22nd, 2014
- Iraqi Govt Barrel Bombs Kill 19 Civilians in Fallujah - July 22nd, 2014