Still remembered for his promise to end the “secrecy” of the Bush era and usher in a new level of government transparency, President Obama has created a new initiative, called the “Insider Threat Program,” aimed at keeping even routine clandestine actions from coming public.
The Obama Administration has gone leaker-phobic, following both the Bradley Manning leaks and the more recent revelations about NSA surveillance, and is now imposing draconian new penalties on anyone leak-adjacent.
No longer contented to merely threaten ridiculous levels of punishment to the leakers themselves, the Insider Threat Program also calls on department managers to severely punish anyone who “suspects” a leak and doesn’t immediately turn the person in.
Snitching on co-workers is not only part of a government job, it’s the most important part by some officials’ views, as the administration tells its bureaucrats that any leak of any information to anyone is “aiding the enemies of the United States.”
President Obama’s determination to move against anybody and everybody for leaking information is even extending beyond the actual secret parts of government, and the administration is now exhorting the Social Security Administration and the Department of Education to keep their secrets closely guarded for “national security’s” sake.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Cuts Ties With Afghan NSA Over Criticism of Negotiator - March 19th, 2019
- New Zealand PM: Censorship Meant to Deny Attacker Notoriety - March 19th, 2019
- Trump Advances Venezuela Regime Change Abroad - March 19th, 2019
- US Slams Germany for Military Spending Falling Short of Trump's Demands - March 19th, 2019
- German Court: Govt Must Question If US Drone Strikes Are Legal - March 19th, 2019