Bomber Was Targeting Govt Office in Paktia Province
A suicide bomber attacked a government office in the Paktia Province today just as a US and Afghan military convoy was passing through the area. The attack killed two US soldiers, an Afghan policeman, and at least 10 schoolchildren. 20 others were wounded.
Officials say they believe the attack was targeting the US delegation that was at the government office, and that the attacker was on a motorcycle loaded with explosives. The children were injured because their school had let out for lunch shortly before he arrived.
As NATO officials declined to provide additional details, it is unclear if the two US soldiers killed were involved int he delegation at the office, or if they were simply part of the military convoy.
At attack has added to concerns that this year’s Taliban “spring offensive” is much larger than anticipated, and that NATO claims of “progress” are being disproven by the sheer number of attacks being launched.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Israeli Delegation Heads to France to Try to Kill Iran Deal - March 22nd, 2015
- US Withdraws Last 100 Ground Troops From Yemen - March 22nd, 2015
- Rebels Seize Yemen's Third Largest City - March 22nd, 2015
- NATO Commander: All Options Considered in Ukraine War - March 22nd, 2015
- US Envoy: If Netanyahu Opposes Palestine Deal, Other Steps May Be Taken - March 22nd, 2015