Urges Other Congressmen to Do the Same
Rebel-enthusiast Sen. John McCain (R – AZ), no longer content to simply cheer Syria’s Islamist rebellion from the comfort of the Sunday news show circuit, has snuck into northern Syria today for meetings with brigade commanders in the Free Syrian Army (FSA).
Rebel officials familiar with the situation said that McCain’s visit had been planned “for weeks, if not months” and that he made it clear he saw visiting the country as being “pro-active” on getting the US directly involved in the ongoing civil war.
Sen. McCain’s visit last a little over an hour, before he retreated back into neighboring Turkey. McCain also met with rebel leaders inside Turkey before crossing the border.
Rebels lauded McCain’s visit, saying that they need direct US military involvement if they are to impose regime change in the nation, and used his visit to reiterate claims of Iranian and Russian military involvement on the side of the Syrian government.
McCain also insisted his visit was “important” and that other US Congressmen should make the visit to enhance ties with the rebellion.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Taliban Car Bomb Attacks US Base in Afghanistan - April 24th, 2017
- US Drone Strike Kills Three Civilians, Four 'Suspects' in Southern Yemen - April 24th, 2017
- Results of US MOAB Strike in Afghanistan Remain Unknown - April 23rd, 2017
- Taliban Attack on North Afghanistan Army Base Kills At Least 163 - April 23rd, 2017
- Mattis: US to Increase Support for Saudis in Yemen - April 23rd, 2017