A suicide bomber has attacked the provincial council headquarters in Afghanistan’s Baghlan Province, killing at least 14 people including the chief of parliament Haji Rasool Mohseni.
The attacker was reportedly wearing a suicide vest underneath a police uniform, and blended into a group of police at a checkpoint outside parliament before detonating. Police say that they believe Mohseni was the target.
Mohammad Ghanizada, another MP from Baghlan, reported that Mohseni had received several death threats before the attack. Mohseni was a member of the Northern Alliance that fought against the Taliban before the 2001 US occupation began.
Taliban spokesmen issued a statement confirming the attack, but they didn’t provide any additional details. They also claimed to have seized a number of police checkpoints in other provinces.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Sanctions on Iran Hitting Ordinary Iraqis Hard - August 14th, 2018
- Trump Wants Gaza Ceasefire With or Without PA Involvement - August 14th, 2018
- US 'Suspicious' of Russian Space Weapons - August 14th, 2018
- Afghans See Govt's Loss in Ghazni as Failure of Ghani Govt - August 14th, 2018
- Fighting Rages in Ghazni, Afghans Claim Most of City Recovered - August 14th, 2018