Hopes to Assure Israel of Military Capability
US officials have reportedly shown Israel a demonstration of their new “bunker buster” bombs, with advanced burrowing capabilities, in hopes of convincing them that the US is capable of destroy Iran’s civilian nuclear program.
The new Massive Ordinance Penetrator (MOP) is said to weigh 30,000 pounds and is an upgrade from previous models. Officials say it would be capable of destroying the Fordow site, which is under a mountain.
The upgrade appears designed to convince Israel that the capability to destroy Iran’s program at any given time is going to remain in place, and hopefully get Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to back off deadlines to start a war.
The Fordow facility operates legally under Iran’s safeguards agreement with the IAEA, as a site for the civilian enrichment of uranium. US officials have contended that the site’s difficulty to destroy proves Iran is up to no good, while Iran insists that if the US and Israel weren’t constantly threatening to destroy anything and everything in the country they’d never have gone to the trouble of making it inconvenient to bomb in the first place.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Ukraine's Eastern Invasion Stalls, Troops Withdraw From Slovyansk - April 16th, 2014
- NATO Chief: More Troops, More Planes for Eastern Europe - April 16th, 2014
- White House Vows More Russia Sanctions Over Ukraine - April 16th, 2014
- Since US Handover, Afghans Freed 4,159 Detainees From Bagram - April 16th, 2014
- Obama Aims to Reassure Pacific Allies on 'Asia Pivot' - April 16th, 2014