Hopes to Assure Israel of Military Capability
US officials have reportedly shown Israel a demonstration of their new “bunker buster” bombs, with advanced burrowing capabilities, in hopes of convincing them that the US is capable of destroy Iran’s civilian nuclear program.
The new Massive Ordinance Penetrator (MOP) is said to weigh 30,000 pounds and is an upgrade from previous models. Officials say it would be capable of destroying the Fordow site, which is under a mountain.
The upgrade appears designed to convince Israel that the capability to destroy Iran’s program at any given time is going to remain in place, and hopefully get Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to back off deadlines to start a war.
The Fordow facility operates legally under Iran’s safeguards agreement with the IAEA, as a site for the civilian enrichment of uranium. US officials have contended that the site’s difficulty to destroy proves Iran is up to no good, while Iran insists that if the US and Israel weren’t constantly threatening to destroy anything and everything in the country they’d never have gone to the trouble of making it inconvenient to bomb in the first place.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Aide: Obama Open to Limits in ISIS War Authorization - November 20th, 2014
- Assad Benefiting From US War on ISIS, Hagel Admits - November 20th, 2014
- New Malware Tool Aims to Detect Government Surveillance - November 20th, 2014
- Some NSA Officials Warned Agency of Surveillance Backlash in 2009 - November 20th, 2014
- US Reluctant to Sell Iraq More Arms With ISIS Taking So Many - November 20th, 2014