An Israeli warplane has shot down a drone off the coast near Haifa today. The infiltration with the drone forced a government helicopter carrying Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu was sent scrambling.
Though Israeli overflights into southern Lebanon are so common as to be a virtual non-story, It is virtually unheard-of for a plane to cross from the Lebanese side into Israeli airspace.
Hezbollah insists the drone isn’t theirs, and since they openly claimed a previous drone overflight in October, it isn’t clear why they would feel the need to lie about it this time. The UN troops in Lebanon say the same drone flew over them in southern Lebanon, and they don’t have any idea whose it is either.
Netanyahu says Israel will treat it as an “extremely grave” incident, but there is no indication if the drone was armed, let alone whether there are indications who actually sent it.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Iran Says Will Leave Iraq, Syria Only If Those Countries Want Them To - July 13th, 2018
- Afghan Forces Kill Over 100 Taliban in Southeast Offensive - July 13th, 2018
- Afghan Forces Kill Civilians in Eastern Air Operations - July 13th, 2018
- US Airstrike Kills at Least 28 Civilians in Eastern Syria - July 13th, 2018
- Kremlin Hails Trump as 'Negotiating Partner' Ahead of Summit - July 13th, 2018