Speaking to Reuters, Iran’s deputy nuclear negotiator Ali Baqeri says that Iran is ready and willing for a new round of nuclear talks with the P5+1, reiterating hopes for substantive negotiations.
Baqeri says that they are simply waiting for the European Union to call and set up a date and location for the next round, after the April 6 Almaty meeting ended fairly quickly in failure.
Iran offered a far-reaching proposal in that meeting, seeking to bypass the gruelingly slow talks and demands for “confidence building” in favor of a full, permanent settlement. The offer was quickly rejected.
Since then there has been no indication of when the next round of talks will be held, though US officials have emphasized that there is a “limited” time for negotiations to take place, and Israel has been seeking a specific ultimatum date for starting a war.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Airstrike in Northern Syria Kills 20 Civilians, Mostly Children - March 21st, 2018
- Britain, Russia Continue to Trade Accusations Over Salisbury Poisoning - March 21st, 2018
- US, North Korea, and South Korea Hold Constructive Talks in Finland - March 21st, 2018
- Israel Publicly Admits 2007 Attack on Syria 'Nuclear Reactor' - March 21st, 2018
- Trump Pushes Europe on Iran Deal, But May Kill Deal Either Way - March 21st, 2018