Kerry Pushes for More Rebel Aid Anyhow
In a world where “Israel said so” is often seen as the only proof needed, US officials are expressing an unusual level of doubt today, saying they are “not persuaded” by Israeli claims Syria has used chemical weapons.
The claims came at a Tel Aviv conference, where Brig. Gen. Itai Brun claimed Syria had “repeatedly” used sarin nerve gas, and accused the US of ignoring its own “red line” on military intervention in Syria.
As with all of these claims, which have been floating around off and on for months, there is no proof to be had, and Secretary of State John Kerry reportedly pressed Benjamin Netanyahu on the matter, who said he couldn’t confirm anything about the general’s claim.
Still, Kerry is not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, and he cited the “chemical weapons threat” today in his latest exhortation for Western nations to throw more money at Syria’s rebels.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US: Ukraine Using Ballistic Missiles Against Rebels - July 29th, 2014
- Obama Unveils New Russia Sanctions, Targeting US Exports, Credit - July 29th, 2014
- AP Scrambles to Revise Tweet on US Congressional Support for Gaza War - July 29th, 2014
- Israel Attacks Gaza's Only Power Plant, Knocking Out Power for a Year - July 29th, 2014
- 43% of Afghan Military's Weapons Unaccounted For - July 28th, 2014