Kerry Pushes for More Rebel Aid Anyhow
In a world where “Israel said so” is often seen as the only proof needed, US officials are expressing an unusual level of doubt today, saying they are “not persuaded” by Israeli claims Syria has used chemical weapons.
The claims came at a Tel Aviv conference, where Brig. Gen. Itai Brun claimed Syria had “repeatedly” used sarin nerve gas, and accused the US of ignoring its own “red line” on military intervention in Syria.
As with all of these claims, which have been floating around off and on for months, there is no proof to be had, and Secretary of State John Kerry reportedly pressed Benjamin Netanyahu on the matter, who said he couldn’t confirm anything about the general’s claim.
Still, Kerry is not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, and he cited the “chemical weapons threat” today in his latest exhortation for Western nations to throw more money at Syria’s rebels.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Trump Assures CIA of Support, Blames Media for Tensions - January 22nd, 2017
- Pentagon Reports ISIS Air War Costs Up to $11 Billion - January 22nd, 2017
- White House in 'Beginning Stages of Talks' to Move Embassy to Jerusalem - January 22nd, 2017
- Netanyahu Vows Unrestricted Building in East Jerusalem Settlements - January 22nd, 2017
- Yemen Reports First US Drone Strikes Under Trump - January 22nd, 2017