Kerry Pushes for More Rebel Aid Anyhow
In a world where “Israel said so” is often seen as the only proof needed, US officials are expressing an unusual level of doubt today, saying they are “not persuaded” by Israeli claims Syria has used chemical weapons.
The claims came at a Tel Aviv conference, where Brig. Gen. Itai Brun claimed Syria had “repeatedly” used sarin nerve gas, and accused the US of ignoring its own “red line” on military intervention in Syria.
As with all of these claims, which have been floating around off and on for months, there is no proof to be had, and Secretary of State John Kerry reportedly pressed Benjamin Netanyahu on the matter, who said he couldn’t confirm anything about the general’s claim.
Still, Kerry is not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, and he cited the “chemical weapons threat” today in his latest exhortation for Western nations to throw more money at Syria’s rebels.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- EU Demands Turkey Let Syrian Refugees In, But Keep Them Away From Europe - February 7th, 2016
- Netherlands to Probe Civilian Deaths in Iraq Airstrikes - February 7th, 2016
- State Dept: US Not Planning on New Israel Peace Process - February 7th, 2016
- US Warns Netanyahu Against Spurning Aid Package in Hopes of Better Deal - February 7th, 2016
- Erdogan: US Must Choose Between Turkey and Syrian Kurds - February 7th, 2016