Kerry Pushes for More Rebel Aid Anyhow
In a world where “Israel said so” is often seen as the only proof needed, US officials are expressing an unusual level of doubt today, saying they are “not persuaded” by Israeli claims Syria has used chemical weapons.
The claims came at a Tel Aviv conference, where Brig. Gen. Itai Brun claimed Syria had “repeatedly” used sarin nerve gas, and accused the US of ignoring its own “red line” on military intervention in Syria.
As with all of these claims, which have been floating around off and on for months, there is no proof to be had, and Secretary of State John Kerry reportedly pressed Benjamin Netanyahu on the matter, who said he couldn’t confirm anything about the general’s claim.
Still, Kerry is not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, and he cited the “chemical weapons threat” today in his latest exhortation for Western nations to throw more money at Syria’s rebels.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Defense Secretary: Pentagon to 'Redouble' Anti-Iran Efforts After Nuclear Deal - September 4th, 2015
- Four US Troops Among Six Injured in Sinai IED Blasts - September 4th, 2015
- Iraq's Battle to Retake Ramadi Is Failing - September 4th, 2015
- Germany, Sweden Making 'Kill Decisions' for US Drone Strikes in Afghanistan - September 4th, 2015
- Iran Deal Vote Down to the Wire as Two More Senate Dems Choose Sides - September 4th, 2015