Kerry Pushes for More Rebel Aid Anyhow
In a world where “Israel said so” is often seen as the only proof needed, US officials are expressing an unusual level of doubt today, saying they are “not persuaded” by Israeli claims Syria has used chemical weapons.
The claims came at a Tel Aviv conference, where Brig. Gen. Itai Brun claimed Syria had “repeatedly” used sarin nerve gas, and accused the US of ignoring its own “red line” on military intervention in Syria.
As with all of these claims, which have been floating around off and on for months, there is no proof to be had, and Secretary of State John Kerry reportedly pressed Benjamin Netanyahu on the matter, who said he couldn’t confirm anything about the general’s claim.
Still, Kerry is not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, and he cited the “chemical weapons threat” today in his latest exhortation for Western nations to throw more money at Syria’s rebels.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Saudi Officials: Rocket Fire From Yemen Killed Two Children in Najran - August 28th, 2016
- Syrian Airstrikes Kill 24 Mourners at Aleppo Funeral - August 28th, 2016
- Taliban Seizes Key Eastern Afghanistan District - August 28th, 2016
- Pentagon: Fighting Between Turkey, Syrian Kurds 'Unacceptable' - August 28th, 2016
- Mosul Fight Is Redrawing the Map of Northern Iraq - August 28th, 2016