Kerry Pushes for More Rebel Aid Anyhow
In a world where “Israel said so” is often seen as the only proof needed, US officials are expressing an unusual level of doubt today, saying they are “not persuaded” by Israeli claims Syria has used chemical weapons.
The claims came at a Tel Aviv conference, where Brig. Gen. Itai Brun claimed Syria had “repeatedly” used sarin nerve gas, and accused the US of ignoring its own “red line” on military intervention in Syria.
As with all of these claims, which have been floating around off and on for months, there is no proof to be had, and Secretary of State John Kerry reportedly pressed Benjamin Netanyahu on the matter, who said he couldn’t confirm anything about the general’s claim.
Still, Kerry is not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, and he cited the “chemical weapons threat” today in his latest exhortation for Western nations to throw more money at Syria’s rebels.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Israeli Public's Mood Turns Dark With Increased Troop Deaths - July 21st, 2014
- UN Presses Gaza Ceasefire, But No Sign Anyone Is Listening - July 21st, 2014
- Israel Shells Gaza Hospital, Adding to Humanitarian Crisis - July 21st, 2014
- Iraqi Military Kills Civilians in Air Strike Against Hawija - July 21st, 2014
- State Dept. Annoyed at Press Questioning MH17 Narrative - July 21st, 2014