Obama Totally Wants to Close It, Officials Insist
Despite doing exactly nothing to actually close the facility, and loudly praising Congress for defunding his first pledge to do so for lacking an actual plan, the White House insists President Obama totally wants to close Guantanamo Bay, and that it is entirely the fault of Congress that the facility remains open.
“It is the president’s view that facility ought to be closed,” insisted Press Secretary Jay Carney, accusing Congress of raising “obstacles” to the closure that kept President Obama from fulfilling his campaign promise.
President Obama promised to close the facility within a year of taking office, but after issuing a single, ill-defined plan more or less scrapped the matter. Earlier this year, he shut down the only office involved in considering the shut down, guaranteeing that no officials will be involved in trying to close the site throughout President Obama’s second term.
The issue has become more serious recently, as detainees, many of them cleared for release for years, engaged in hunger strikes to protest their continued detention, and over the weekend troops cracked down on detainees, forcing hunger strikers into solitary confinement, sparking a clash with them.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Israel Shells UN School in Gaza, Killing 16 Civilians, Wounding Hundreds - July 24th, 2014
- Growing Calls for Gaza Ceasefire, But Israel and Hamas Stick to Demands - July 23rd, 2014
- UN Rights Council to Investigate Israeli War Crimes in Gaza - July 23rd, 2014
- In Israel's War, Gaza Children Increasingly in the Line of Fire - July 23rd, 2014
- Israeli Cabinet Mulls Further Escalation: At Least 788 Gazans Killed - July 23rd, 2014