Obama Totally Wants to Close It, Officials Insist
Despite doing exactly nothing to actually close the facility, and loudly praising Congress for defunding his first pledge to do so for lacking an actual plan, the White House insists President Obama totally wants to close Guantanamo Bay, and that it is entirely the fault of Congress that the facility remains open.
“It is the president’s view that facility ought to be closed,” insisted Press Secretary Jay Carney, accusing Congress of raising “obstacles” to the closure that kept President Obama from fulfilling his campaign promise.
President Obama promised to close the facility within a year of taking office, but after issuing a single, ill-defined plan more or less scrapped the matter. Earlier this year, he shut down the only office involved in considering the shut down, guaranteeing that no officials will be involved in trying to close the site throughout President Obama’s second term.
The issue has become more serious recently, as detainees, many of them cleared for release for years, engaged in hunger strikes to protest their continued detention, and over the weekend troops cracked down on detainees, forcing hunger strikers into solitary confinement, sparking a clash with them.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Gaza Refugee Influx, Israeli Attacks Overwhelm UN Relief Agency - July 31st, 2014
- Israel, Hamas Agree to 72-Hour Ceasefire: 1,452 Gazans Killed - July 31st, 2014
- White House: Israeli Attack on UN School in Gaza 'Indefensible' - July 31st, 2014
- Libya Islamists Declare Control Over Benghazi - July 31st, 2014
- 49 Killed in Latest ISIS Attack on Key Syrian Kurdish Town - July 31st, 2014