Military Will Only Recognize 39 'Official' Strikers
The hunger strike among detainees at Guantanamo Bay is growing more dire by the day, with a number of the detainees in failing health. It is also growing in sheer size, according to detainee Shaker Aamer.
Aamer, never charged with any wrongdoing and cleared for release twice, in 2007 and 2009, is among the strikers, and according to his lawyer has lost 32 pounds. He told his lawyer that the number of strikers is now 130, the vast majority of the 166 captives still held at the facility.
Gitmo prison spokesman Cap. Robert Durand disputed the account, saying the Pentagon only recognizes 39 “official” strikers. That number has soared in recent weeks as well, though the military maintains that a number of self-professed strikers are “cheating” and sneaking snacks when no one is looking.
Durand also maintains that the prison has enough doctors and nurses to “handle” the situation. The military is force-feeding several prisoners already, and is prepared to deploy more medical personnel if those needs grow.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- White House Denies Reports of Breakthrough in Iran Talks - February 24th, 2015
- US Weapons Pour Into Iraq Ahead of Mosul Invasion - February 24th, 2015
- Despite Photos, Witnesses, Ukraine Denies Rebels Withdraw Weapons - February 24th, 2015
- Britain to Send Troops to Ukraine as 'Military Advisers' - February 24th, 2015
- Israelis Report Saudis Willing to Help Them Attack Iran - February 24th, 2015