The trial of a group of Taliban detainees led to a massive attack and bloodbath today in the city of Farah, when a number of Taliban stormed the courthouse and engaged in an all-day gunbattle in an attempt to free them.
Starting with a car bomb at the entrance, a number of attackers stormed the court, attacking the courtroom and the prosecutor’s office. At least 53 people are confirmed dead, including nine of the attackers, and scores of others are wounded.
Taliban spokesmen confirmed their role in the attack, claiming that they had successfully freed 13 of the 15 prisoners. They also downplayed the claims of large civilian casualties, insisting that 35 of the slain were either security forces or court workers.
Nine of the attackers were also reported killed in the strike. Provincial officials say it damaged not only the courthouse, but a large number of other government buildings in the surrounding area.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Ceasefire Announced for Part of Syria's Eastern Ghouta - March 22nd, 2018
- Turkey Will Expel All Kurds From Border Unless Deal Reached With US - March 22nd, 2018
- Pentagon: Nukes Will Be Useless Without New Plutonium Cores - March 22nd, 2018
- State Dept. Announces $1 Billion in New Arms Sales to Saudis - March 22nd, 2018
- Mattis Says Saudis 'Part of the Solution' in Yemen - March 22nd, 2018