Avigdor Lieberman, the once and likely future Foreign Minister of Israel, has pressed newly appointed Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon to radically redefine the rules of engagement for the military in the occupied West Bank, encouraging them to shoot stone-throwers as “terrorists.”
Israeli human rights groups have spent the past few months complaining that the military is already violating its rules of engagement by regularly shooting stone-throwers, even though the rules explicitly ban doing so.
The sudden interest in extra shootings came after an incident last week in which a stone thrower caused a crash which badly injured an Israeli family, including a three year old girl.
Lieberman insists that in the wake of the incident Israel should treat any stone throwing as identical to firing a gun, and that shooting stone throwers as a general rule in the only thing that can stop “the Arab rioters.”
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Al-Jazeera Slams Saudi Demand to Shut Them Down - June 23rd, 2017
- United Arab Emirates 'Won't Back Down' if Qatar Doesn't Submit to Demands - June 23rd, 2017
- Saudis Issue Broad List of Demands to Qatar - June 23rd, 2017
- Multiple Bombings Kill 47 Across Pakistan - June 23rd, 2017
- Obama Ordered Cyberweapons Implanted Into Russia's Infrastructure - June 23rd, 2017