Karzai Govt: US Troops Hassling, Murdering Civilians
Afghan President Hamid Karzai has ordered all US special forces out of the Wardak Province today after probes into torture and “disappearances” of innocent civilians turned up evidence of US involvement.
“It became clear that armed individuals named as U.S. special force stationed in Wardak province engage in harassing, annoying, torturing and even murdering innocent people,” Karzai said in a statement issued on the decision.
The probe centered on nine “disappeared” civilians, as well as a student taken from his home in a night raid and found dead two days later, his body showing signs of intense torture.
The US initially denied conducting the night raid in question, but has since said that it will not provide any additional comments on the Wardak cases until they consult more with the Karzai government.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- PM: Turkey 'Heartbroken' by US Handling of Gulen Extradition - July 26th, 2016
- Turkey Arrests Two Generals Based in Kabul in Growing Purge - July 26th, 2016
- Syria Tightens Aleppo Siege, Calls on Rebels to Surrender - July 26th, 2016
- Man Who Killed French Priest Was Tagged, Under 'House Arrest' - July 26th, 2016
- Philippines Announces Unilateral Ceasefire With Communist Rebels - July 25th, 2016