Major Protests, Public Strikes Announced to Protest Killings
Yet another major suicide bombing hit Pakistan’s Shi’ite community over the weekend, when a suicide bombing targeted a busy marketplace in the Balochistan capital of Quetta, killing at least 84 people and wounding 173 others.
Attacks against Shi’ites are common in Pakistan, and particularly so in Balochistan, where many of the secessionist groups are also Sunni militant factions. A shutter-down strike was observed throughout Quetta today to protest the killings.
The Lashkar-e Jhangvi (LeJ) has claimed credit for the attack, which has added to anger at the ruling Pakistani People’s Party (PPP) just two months ahead of elections. Shi’ites in particular have complained the government’s inability to do anything about such attacks.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Blowback: Attack on Canadian Parliament Leaves Ottawa Stunned - October 22nd, 2014
- More Troops, More Arms: Iraq Pushes US to Expand ISIS War - October 22nd, 2014
- Report: 25 ISIS Killed in US Airstrikes in Central Iraq - October 22nd, 2014
- Livni, Lapid Combine Blocs to Push Israel Back Into Peace Talks - October 22nd, 2014
- Libyan Parliament Pairs Up With Gen. Hifter: Attack Planned on Tripoli - October 22nd, 2014