Major Protests, Public Strikes Announced to Protest Killings
Yet another major suicide bombing hit Pakistan’s Shi’ite community over the weekend, when a suicide bombing targeted a busy marketplace in the Balochistan capital of Quetta, killing at least 84 people and wounding 173 others.
Attacks against Shi’ites are common in Pakistan, and particularly so in Balochistan, where many of the secessionist groups are also Sunni militant factions. A shutter-down strike was observed throughout Quetta today to protest the killings.
The Lashkar-e Jhangvi (LeJ) has claimed credit for the attack, which has added to anger at the ruling Pakistani People’s Party (PPP) just two months ahead of elections. Shi’ites in particular have complained the government’s inability to do anything about such attacks.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Killing Far More Civilians in Syria Than They'll Admit - August 26th, 2016
- US, Russia Fail to Reach a Deal on Syria - August 26th, 2016
- US Continues to Cut Aid to Pakistan - August 26th, 2016
- PKK Bombs Turkish Police HQ in Southeast, Killing 11 - August 26th, 2016
- As Turkey Enters Syria, US Aims to Keep Them Happy - August 26th, 2016