Major Protests, Public Strikes Announced to Protest Killings
Yet another major suicide bombing hit Pakistan’s Shi’ite community over the weekend, when a suicide bombing targeted a busy marketplace in the Balochistan capital of Quetta, killing at least 84 people and wounding 173 others.
Attacks against Shi’ites are common in Pakistan, and particularly so in Balochistan, where many of the secessionist groups are also Sunni militant factions. A shutter-down strike was observed throughout Quetta today to protest the killings.
The Lashkar-e Jhangvi (LeJ) has claimed credit for the attack, which has added to anger at the ruling Pakistani People’s Party (PPP) just two months ahead of elections. Shi’ites in particular have complained the government’s inability to do anything about such attacks.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Saudis to Behead Over 50, Including Top Shi'ite Cleric, as 'Terrorists' - November 26th, 2015
- Russia Threatens Economic Retaliation Over Turkey Attack - November 26th, 2015
- Cameron Challenged on Claim of 70,000 Moderate Syrian Fighters - November 26th, 2015
- Russia Says 'Wiped Out' Terror Groups Near Downed Plane - November 26th, 2015
- Powers Open to 'Grand Coalition' Against ISIS - November 26th, 2015