Third Drone Strike in As Many Days as US Continues Escalation
The escalation of US drone strikes against Yemen continues today, with yet another US drone strike destroying a car just outside of the capital city of Sanaa and killing three “suspects.”
The attacks come after a pair of strikes over the weekend targeted cars in the city of Ma’arib, killing at least nine people. Those slain in the weekend strikes included at least one “local leader” for al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula but no names were produced for today’s attack.
The US has been steadily escalating the number of drone strikes in Yemen, killing large numbers of people in the nation’s tribal-dominated interior with the endorsement of ruler Major General Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi.
The escalation has prompted concerns that the US is going to spark a major backlash among Yemen’s tribal factions, many of which are heavily armed and can mobilize major numbers of fighters in short order.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Kerry: Not Attacking Syria in 2013 'Cost' the US - December 5th, 2016
- Facebook, Microsoft, Twitter, and YouTube Create Program to Silence 'Terrorist Propaganda' Online - December 5th, 2016
- Israeli Parliament Backs Bill to Legalize Settler Outposts - December 5th, 2016
- Pentagon Officials Continue to Hype Russia as 'Threat' to US - December 5th, 2016
- Red Cross Poll Shows Alarming US Tolerance for War Crimes - December 5th, 2016