Third Drone Strike in As Many Days as US Continues Escalation
The escalation of US drone strikes against Yemen continues today, with yet another US drone strike destroying a car just outside of the capital city of Sanaa and killing three “suspects.”
The attacks come after a pair of strikes over the weekend targeted cars in the city of Ma’arib, killing at least nine people. Those slain in the weekend strikes included at least one “local leader” for al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula but no names were produced for today’s attack.
The US has been steadily escalating the number of drone strikes in Yemen, killing large numbers of people in the nation’s tribal-dominated interior with the endorsement of ruler Major General Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi.
The escalation has prompted concerns that the US is going to spark a major backlash among Yemen’s tribal factions, many of which are heavily armed and can mobilize major numbers of fighters in short order.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Investigating Airstrike on Syria Mosque Which Killed 49 Civilians - March 21st, 2017
- Kurdish Infighting Brings Violence Back to Yazidi Heartland in Iraq - March 21st, 2017
- Senate Majority Leader Rejects Trump's Foreign Aid Cuts - March 21st, 2017
- Trump Aides Push for 'Broad Sanctions' Against North Korea - March 21st, 2017
- FBI's Russia Probe Turns Focus on Social Media Bots - March 21st, 2017