Third Drone Strike in As Many Days as US Continues Escalation
The escalation of US drone strikes against Yemen continues today, with yet another US drone strike destroying a car just outside of the capital city of Sanaa and killing three “suspects.”
The attacks come after a pair of strikes over the weekend targeted cars in the city of Ma’arib, killing at least nine people. Those slain in the weekend strikes included at least one “local leader” for al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula but no names were produced for today’s attack.
The US has been steadily escalating the number of drone strikes in Yemen, killing large numbers of people in the nation’s tribal-dominated interior with the endorsement of ruler Major General Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi.
The escalation has prompted concerns that the US is going to spark a major backlash among Yemen’s tribal factions, many of which are heavily armed and can mobilize major numbers of fighters in short order.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Secular Syria Rebels Mull Rejoining Govt to Fight al-Qaeda - December 4th, 2013
- White House 'Frustrated' by Israel's Condemnations of Iran Deal - December 3rd, 2013
- Cantor Bill Would Dictate Terms of Any Iran Deal - December 3rd, 2013
- From Rebellion to Extortion: The Free Syrian Army Is Changing - December 3rd, 2013
- Al-Qaeda Kidnapped Nuns From Captured Syrian Village - December 3rd, 2013