Third Palestinian Killed Since Gaza Truce Went Into Effect
Israeli soldiers attacked a group of three Palestinians today along the border with the Gaza Strip, killing one and wounding another in what Israeli officials described as an attempt to “harm Israel’s sovereignty.”
The slain Palestinian was described as a student studying for an upcoming exam. His brother was also present at the incident, and was uninjured. The third person, described as a farmer, was shot in the leg and taken to the hospital.
Israeli soldiers on the border have had their rules of engagement changed considerably since the most recent truce went into effect, and are supposed to exclusively fire warning shots at protesters’ feet. Though the military insisted today’s shootings were warning shots, the slain man was hit in the chest.
Today’s death was the third of a Gaza Strip resident since the ceasefire began, each shot by Israeli troops along the cusp of what they consider the “no-go” portion of the tiny strip, close to the border with Israel.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Kerry Accuses Syria of Violating Chemical Arms Treaty - September 18th, 2014
- Hagel: Military, Not Obama, Will Make Decisions on Syria Strikes - September 18th, 2014
- Clapper Claims Snowden Leaks Adding to 'Threats' Faced by US - September 18th, 2014
- Obama Rejects Ukraine Call for 'Lethal Aid' - September 18th, 2014
- Senate Okays Obama Bill Arming Syria Rebels, Delays Vote on War - September 18th, 2014