Third Palestinian Killed Since Gaza Truce Went Into Effect
Israeli soldiers attacked a group of three Palestinians today along the border with the Gaza Strip, killing one and wounding another in what Israeli officials described as an attempt to “harm Israel’s sovereignty.”
The slain Palestinian was described as a student studying for an upcoming exam. His brother was also present at the incident, and was uninjured. The third person, described as a farmer, was shot in the leg and taken to the hospital.
Israeli soldiers on the border have had their rules of engagement changed considerably since the most recent truce went into effect, and are supposed to exclusively fire warning shots at protesters’ feet. Though the military insisted today’s shootings were warning shots, the slain man was hit in the chest.
Today’s death was the third of a Gaza Strip resident since the ceasefire began, each shot by Israeli troops along the cusp of what they consider the “no-go” portion of the tiny strip, close to the border with Israel.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Scottish Minister Reports Informal Talks on Staying in EU - June 27th, 2016
- UK Cabinet Minister: Second Brexit Vote Possible if EU Offers Better Deal - June 27th, 2016
- UK Labour Party Rebels, Corbyn Faces No-Confidence Vote - June 27th, 2016
- Iraqi Shi'ite Militias Reported Fighting Inside Fallujah - June 27th, 2016
- Eight Suicide Bombers Attack Lebanese Christian Village - June 27th, 2016