Americans 'Don't Begin by Shooting'
In an interview with the New York Times, Israeli President Shimon Peres expressed confidence that President Obama would eventually attack Iran, and that economic sanctions and negotiations were just a prelude to such a move.
“If none of this works, then President Obama will use military power against Iran. I am sure of it,” Peres insisted, saying that the Americans simply “don’t begin by shooting” when they are on the path to a war.
Peres went on to downplay reports of a rift between Obama and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, saying that it is simply a matter of convincing Obama that Israel is sincere in supporting a peace deal with the Palestinians.
“Of course, he’s not convinced,” Peres added, and such convincing may be extremely difficult to accomplish with so many politicians on the Israeli far-right running on explicit opposition to Palestinian peace, and looking to gain considerable seats in this month’s election with those positions.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syrian Troops Invade Nusra Front-Held Aleppo, Seize Key District - September 27th, 2016
- Infiltrators Kill 13 Afghan Soldiers in Their Sleep - September 27th, 2016
- Turkey Cheers as Kurdish Forces Withdraw From Syrian City of Manbij - September 26th, 2016
- Clinton, Trump Both Talk Escalation Against ISIS - September 26th, 2016
- Clinton Assures Netanyahu She Would Veto Any UN Actions on Israel - September 26th, 2016