Americans 'Don't Begin by Shooting'
In an interview with the New York Times, Israeli President Shimon Peres expressed confidence that President Obama would eventually attack Iran, and that economic sanctions and negotiations were just a prelude to such a move.
“If none of this works, then President Obama will use military power against Iran. I am sure of it,” Peres insisted, saying that the Americans simply “don’t begin by shooting” when they are on the path to a war.
Peres went on to downplay reports of a rift between Obama and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, saying that it is simply a matter of convincing Obama that Israel is sincere in supporting a peace deal with the Palestinians.
“Of course, he’s not convinced,” Peres added, and such convincing may be extremely difficult to accomplish with so many politicians on the Israeli far-right running on explicit opposition to Palestinian peace, and looking to gain considerable seats in this month’s election with those positions.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Israel Announces Plan for 15,000 More Settlement Homes in East Jerusalem - April 28th, 2017
- Turkey Kills 11 Syrian Kurds as Cross-Border Clashes Continue - April 28th, 2017
- Syrian Islamist Rebels Fight One Another Near Damascus, 40 Killed - April 28th, 2017
- US Drone Strike Killed Eight al-Qaeda Suspects in Yemen - April 28th, 2017
- China Rejects Idea They Need to Resolve North Korea Alone - April 28th, 2017