Americans 'Don't Begin by Shooting'
In an interview with the New York Times, Israeli President Shimon Peres expressed confidence that President Obama would eventually attack Iran, and that economic sanctions and negotiations were just a prelude to such a move.
“If none of this works, then President Obama will use military power against Iran. I am sure of it,” Peres insisted, saying that the Americans simply “don’t begin by shooting” when they are on the path to a war.
Peres went on to downplay reports of a rift between Obama and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, saying that it is simply a matter of convincing Obama that Israel is sincere in supporting a peace deal with the Palestinians.
“Of course, he’s not convinced,” Peres added, and such convincing may be extremely difficult to accomplish with so many politicians on the Israeli far-right running on explicit opposition to Palestinian peace, and looking to gain considerable seats in this month’s election with those positions.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Lost Cause or Not, Gulf States Expected to Keep Arming Syrian Rebels - December 9th, 2016
- CIA Claims Russia Intervened to Get Trump Elected - December 9th, 2016
- Sec Def Tries to Lock Trump Into 'Enduring' Afghan War - December 9th, 2016
- Allies Warn Trump Against Cooperating With Russia Over Syria - December 9th, 2016
- Syrian Govt Controls 93% of Aleppo - December 9th, 2016