Vows Similar Treatment for Other 'Dogs of Assad'
Syria’s al-Nusra Front, the Islamist rebel faction which the US has designated a foreign terrorist organization, has released a video showing the summary executions of three Syrian soldiers, identified as Alawites.
One of the three is accused of raping a woman in the video, and after their execution the cameraman declares that the “dogs of Assad” can expect to receive similar treatment in the future.
The al-Nusra Front has become increasingly active in the civil war in recent weeks, with an estimated 5,000 fighters and the formal approval of al-Qaeda. The US has come under fire from other rebel groups for noting their terrorist tactics, insisting that they are “necessary” to win the civil war.
The group got its start as the self-styled media outlet for the rebels, attacking TV stations and newspapers perceived as not sufficiently pro-rebel, but has since gone on to be the frontline fighters of choice for most of Syria.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- At Least 250 ISIS Killed in US Airstrikes in Fallujah - June 29th, 2016
- Day of Mourning as Istanbul Death Toll Rises to 42 - June 29th, 2016
- UN: Aid Deliveries Made to All Besieged Parts of Syria - June 29th, 2016
- Iraqi Troops Near Qayara, Key Airbase on the Road to Mosul - June 29th, 2016
- CIA Chief: ISIS Is Likely Plotting Strikes in US - June 29th, 2016