Vows Similar Treatment for Other 'Dogs of Assad'
Syria’s al-Nusra Front, the Islamist rebel faction which the US has designated a foreign terrorist organization, has released a video showing the summary executions of three Syrian soldiers, identified as Alawites.
One of the three is accused of raping a woman in the video, and after their execution the cameraman declares that the “dogs of Assad” can expect to receive similar treatment in the future.
The al-Nusra Front has become increasingly active in the civil war in recent weeks, with an estimated 5,000 fighters and the formal approval of al-Qaeda. The US has come under fire from other rebel groups for noting their terrorist tactics, insisting that they are “necessary” to win the civil war.
The group got its start as the self-styled media outlet for the rebels, attacking TV stations and newspapers perceived as not sufficiently pro-rebel, but has since gone on to be the frontline fighters of choice for most of Syria.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Erdogan: Russian Plane Downed Defending 'Our Brothers in Syria' - November 25th, 2015
- Turkish PM Warns Russia Not to Attack Syrian Turkmens - November 25th, 2015
- Syrian Rebels Make Intensive Use of US Missiles - November 25th, 2015
- Russia Pounds Al-Qaeda Sites in Northern Syria - November 25th, 2015
- Obama to Americans: No Threats Credible Unless I Tell You About Them - November 25th, 2015