Vows Similar Treatment for Other 'Dogs of Assad'
Syria’s al-Nusra Front, the Islamist rebel faction which the US has designated a foreign terrorist organization, has released a video showing the summary executions of three Syrian soldiers, identified as Alawites.
One of the three is accused of raping a woman in the video, and after their execution the cameraman declares that the “dogs of Assad” can expect to receive similar treatment in the future.
The al-Nusra Front has become increasingly active in the civil war in recent weeks, with an estimated 5,000 fighters and the formal approval of al-Qaeda. The US has come under fire from other rebel groups for noting their terrorist tactics, insisting that they are “necessary” to win the civil war.
The group got its start as the self-styled media outlet for the rebels, attacking TV stations and newspapers perceived as not sufficiently pro-rebel, but has since gone on to be the frontline fighters of choice for most of Syria.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Many Reasons to Doubt Hamas Vet's Claims on Kidnapping - August 21st, 2014
- Escalating Iraq War Is Increasingly Kurd-Centric - August 21st, 2014
- Many in Congress Wary of Escalating Iraq War - August 21st, 2014
- Pakistan Protest Leader Ends Talks With Govt, Reiterates Call for PM to Resign - August 21st, 2014
- US Rejects Protesters' Call for Pakistani PM to Resign - August 21st, 2014