Vows Similar Treatment for Other 'Dogs of Assad'
Syria’s al-Nusra Front, the Islamist rebel faction which the US has designated a foreign terrorist organization, has released a video showing the summary executions of three Syrian soldiers, identified as Alawites.
One of the three is accused of raping a woman in the video, and after their execution the cameraman declares that the “dogs of Assad” can expect to receive similar treatment in the future.
The al-Nusra Front has become increasingly active in the civil war in recent weeks, with an estimated 5,000 fighters and the formal approval of al-Qaeda. The US has come under fire from other rebel groups for noting their terrorist tactics, insisting that they are “necessary” to win the civil war.
The group got its start as the self-styled media outlet for the rebels, attacking TV stations and newspapers perceived as not sufficiently pro-rebel, but has since gone on to be the frontline fighters of choice for most of Syria.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Clapper: Cyberattacks a Bigger Threat Than ISIS - February 26th, 2015
- Iraqi Kurdistan Keeping Arabs From Returning to Regions It Intends to Annex - February 26th, 2015
- 'Jihadi John' Identified: Londoner Was Courted by MI5 - February 26th, 2015
- Al-Qaeda Declares War Against US-Armed Rebels in Northwest Syria - February 26th, 2015
- Three ISIS Fighters Killed in Clash With Lebanese Army - February 26th, 2015