Vows Similar Treatment for Other 'Dogs of Assad'
Syria’s al-Nusra Front, the Islamist rebel faction which the US has designated a foreign terrorist organization, has released a video showing the summary executions of three Syrian soldiers, identified as Alawites.
One of the three is accused of raping a woman in the video, and after their execution the cameraman declares that the “dogs of Assad” can expect to receive similar treatment in the future.
The al-Nusra Front has become increasingly active in the civil war in recent weeks, with an estimated 5,000 fighters and the formal approval of al-Qaeda. The US has come under fire from other rebel groups for noting their terrorist tactics, insisting that they are “necessary” to win the civil war.
The group got its start as the self-styled media outlet for the rebels, attacking TV stations and newspapers perceived as not sufficiently pro-rebel, but has since gone on to be the frontline fighters of choice for most of Syria.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Israel Calls Up 16,000 More Reservists: 86,000 Since Start of War - July 30th, 2014
- Israeli Cabinet Vows to Intensify Gaza War: Over 1,400 Killed - July 30th, 2014
- Shi'ite Militias Execute 15 Sunnis North of Baghdad - July 30th, 2014
- 75 Bodies, Mostly Libyan Soldiers, Found After Benghazi Firefight - July 30th, 2014
- US Senators Push for Lethal Military Aid to Ukraine - July 30th, 2014