FOB Chapman Was Site of 2009 Attack on CIA Officials
A suicide car bombing struck Forward Operating Base Chapman in the Khost Province today, killing three Afghans and wounding seven others in an attack on the eastern gates of the base. A police officer was among the slain.
FOB Chapman, readers may remember, was the site of the massive December 2009 bombing attack which killed a large number of CIA agents, an attack which was the single deadliest against the agency in its history.
Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid claimed credit for the attack, saying the attacker was a Taliban fighter named Omar who “knew the area very well.” NATO insisted none of the casualties were from its forces.
Provincial officials say that the attacker detonated the car bomb when the police officer came to search the vehicle before giving him access to the base. The identities of the other two slain in the attack are unknown, but appear to have been bystanders.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Obama Team: We Can Badly Damage Russian Economy - March 11th, 2014
- Saudis to Qatar: Close al-Jazeera or Face Blockade - March 11th, 2014
- Al-Qaeda Faction Executes 22 in Syria, Including Rival Rebels - March 11th, 2014
- West Plans Major New Rebel Offensive in Southern Syria - March 11th, 2014
- Anti-Aircraft Missiles Still Pouring Out of Libya - March 11th, 2014