Rebel Commander: Attack on Syrian Airways Flight a 'Warning'
Syrian rebel officials confirmed an attack on Syrian Airways flight RB201 today, damaging the plane during takeoff with sniper attacks. Most of the damage appears to have centered on the plane’s tires, and commanders said that it was a “warning.”
“We wanted to send a message to the regime that all their planes – military and civilian – are within our reach,” noted Commander Khaldoun, saying the all flights out of Aleppo and Damascus are subject to attack.
The civilian airliner was bound for Cairo, and has mostly flown out of Damascus in recent weeks. The rebels say attacks will continue against the plane in Damascus no matter the cost.
Rebels have repeatedly said that civilian aircraft were “legitimate” targets over the past few months, but today was the first time a plane was confirmed hit by rebel fire. They insist the civilian aircraft are ferrying in weapons, though so far they have not provided any evidence for this charge.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Spies Using Intercepted Communications to Seek Links Between Russia, Trump Allies - January 20th, 2017
- Trump Inauguration Address Centers on Fighting Islamic Terror - January 20th, 2017
- Denmark to Send Special Forces to Syria - January 20th, 2017
- ISIS Shifts Focus to Syria as They Lose Ground in Iraq - January 20th, 2017
- CIA Is Directorless as Senators Block Pompeo Vote - January 20th, 2017