Rebel Commander: Attack on Syrian Airways Flight a 'Warning'
Syrian rebel officials confirmed an attack on Syrian Airways flight RB201 today, damaging the plane during takeoff with sniper attacks. Most of the damage appears to have centered on the plane’s tires, and commanders said that it was a “warning.”
“We wanted to send a message to the regime that all their planes – military and civilian – are within our reach,” noted Commander Khaldoun, saying the all flights out of Aleppo and Damascus are subject to attack.
The civilian airliner was bound for Cairo, and has mostly flown out of Damascus in recent weeks. The rebels say attacks will continue against the plane in Damascus no matter the cost.
Rebels have repeatedly said that civilian aircraft were “legitimate” targets over the past few months, but today was the first time a plane was confirmed hit by rebel fire. They insist the civilian aircraft are ferrying in weapons, though so far they have not provided any evidence for this charge.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Iraq PM: Turkey's Help Not Needed in Mosul Attack - October 23rd, 2016
- US Warns Worst Is Yet to Come in Battle for Mosul - October 23rd, 2016
- Syrian Kurds Fire on Rebel-Held Jarabulus as Turkey Continues to Attack Them - October 23rd, 2016
- Heavy Fighting as Russian Ceasefire in Aleppo Ends - October 23rd, 2016
- Russian and Syrian Airstrikes Pound Idlib, Killing 24 - October 23rd, 2016