Shortly after the ceasefire took hold, the Israeli military’s spokesman claimed that 177 Palestinians were killed in the course of the week-long war on the Gaza Strip, and that 120 were “engaged in terrorist activities.”
No evidence was provided to back up this claim, and indeed it flies in the face of what information we’ve had of victims, with only a handful identified as top Hamas military commanders and some other strikes referencing rocket teams. The figure suggests the IDF simply subtracted women and children from the list and termed the rest presumptive terrorists.
Which isn’t that surprising, as Israeli officials, including government spokesman Mark Regev have made statements disavowing seemingly innocent people, like domestic Gazan journalists who he termed “not legitimate media” to spurn claims that Israel was deliberately attacking the media. One can only assume the slain journalists were in the “120” figure.
Interestingly the IDF figure is also the highest death toll yet reported, with the latest Gaza Health Ministry figures saying “more than 150,” and the best estimate from PCHR, which is trying to identify every single victim by name, has listed at least 90 confirmed civilians among the dead, including 30 children.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US-Backed Kurds Say Russian Warplanes Attacked Them - September 25th, 2017
- North Korea Says Trump Has Declared War, US Says No - September 25th, 2017
- Palestinian Authority to Convene in Gaza Amid Reconciliation Push - September 25th, 2017
- Spanish Officials Declare Catalonia Referendum 'Discredited' - September 25th, 2017
- Spain's Attorney General: Catalan President May Face Arrest - September 25th, 2017