Officials Hope to Court Taliban Into Reconciliation Talks
Afghanistan initially sought the release of Mullah Baradar, but he was not among those released. The only detainee identified so far as being released is former Justice Minister Mullah Turabi.
Afghanistan has a delegation in Pakistan, where the two sides are discussing ways to kickstart reconciliation talks. The Taliban has repeatedly spurned talks with the Karzai government, saying they only want to talk with the occupation forces about withdrawing.
For Pakistan, the releases are also about rebuilding their relationship with the Karzai government, which has gotten cozy with India but which has had a tense diplomatic relationship with Islamabad for years.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Pakistan Hesitant to Join Saudi War, Fearing Sectarian Strife - March 27th, 2015
- Yemen Invasion Could Define Saudi Policy for Years to Come - March 27th, 2015
- Yemen's Houthis Advance Despite Continued Saudi-Led Strikes - March 27th, 2015
- Kerry Updates Israel as Iran Deal Looks Imminent - March 27th, 2015
- US Lobbying Fails as Allies Flock to China-Led Bank - March 27th, 2015