Officials Hope to Court Taliban Into Reconciliation Talks
Afghanistan initially sought the release of Mullah Baradar, but he was not among those released. The only detainee identified so far as being released is former Justice Minister Mullah Turabi.
Afghanistan has a delegation in Pakistan, where the two sides are discussing ways to kickstart reconciliation talks. The Taliban has repeatedly spurned talks with the Karzai government, saying they only want to talk with the occupation forces about withdrawing.
For Pakistan, the releases are also about rebuilding their relationship with the Karzai government, which has gotten cozy with India but which has had a tense diplomatic relationship with Islamabad for years.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Brexit Split Sparks Leadership Battles in Top British Parties - June 26th, 2016
- Scottish Parliament, Others Could Put Brakes on Brexit - June 26th, 2016
- Polls Show Scotland Strongly Backs Secession From UK Over Brexit - June 26th, 2016
- Israel, Turkey Reach Reconciliation Deal - June 26th, 2016
- State Dept's Propaganda Center Growing Rapidly, But Accomplishing Little - June 26th, 2016