Officials Hope to Court Taliban Into Reconciliation Talks
Afghanistan initially sought the release of Mullah Baradar, but he was not among those released. The only detainee identified so far as being released is former Justice Minister Mullah Turabi.
Afghanistan has a delegation in Pakistan, where the two sides are discussing ways to kickstart reconciliation talks. The Taliban has repeatedly spurned talks with the Karzai government, saying they only want to talk with the occupation forces about withdrawing.
For Pakistan, the releases are also about rebuilding their relationship with the Karzai government, which has gotten cozy with India but which has had a tense diplomatic relationship with Islamabad for years.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Iraqi Kurdish Govt Asks PKK Fighters to Withdraw - August 2nd, 2015
- Turkey Denies Any Civilians Killed in Latest Attacks on Kurds - August 2nd, 2015
- Negotiator: Iranian Parliament Has No Say in Nuclear Deal - August 2nd, 2015
- US-Trained Syrian Rebels Routed by al-Qaeda, Flee Into Kurdish Territory - August 2nd, 2015
- New Afghan Taliban Leader Urges Unity, Vows to Continue Insurgency - August 2nd, 2015