Officials Hope to Court Taliban Into Reconciliation Talks
Afghanistan initially sought the release of Mullah Baradar, but he was not among those released. The only detainee identified so far as being released is former Justice Minister Mullah Turabi.
Afghanistan has a delegation in Pakistan, where the two sides are discussing ways to kickstart reconciliation talks. The Taliban has repeatedly spurned talks with the Karzai government, saying they only want to talk with the occupation forces about withdrawing.
For Pakistan, the releases are also about rebuilding their relationship with the Karzai government, which has gotten cozy with India but which has had a tense diplomatic relationship with Islamabad for years.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Assad Seeks Agreement on US Airstrikes in Syria - January 26th, 2015
- Controversy as Canadian Troops Get Into More Fights With ISIS - January 26th, 2015
- Tribal Leaders: Shi'ite Militias Kill 70 Civilians After Iraq Retakes Diyala - January 26th, 2015
- Militants Attack Power Line, Black Out All of Pakistan - January 26th, 2015
- FBI Charges Three Russians Over Spying Plot - January 26th, 2015