Officials Hope to Court Taliban Into Reconciliation Talks
Afghanistan initially sought the release of Mullah Baradar, but he was not among those released. The only detainee identified so far as being released is former Justice Minister Mullah Turabi.
Afghanistan has a delegation in Pakistan, where the two sides are discussing ways to kickstart reconciliation talks. The Taliban has repeatedly spurned talks with the Karzai government, saying they only want to talk with the occupation forces about withdrawing.
For Pakistan, the releases are also about rebuilding their relationship with the Karzai government, which has gotten cozy with India but which has had a tense diplomatic relationship with Islamabad for years.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- White House Backs Down as Hawks Praise Netanyahu Speech - March 3rd, 2015
- Afghan Army Touts 'First Solo Offensive' Against Helmand Province - March 2nd, 2015
- Libya Names Coup General Hifter as Army Chief - March 2nd, 2015
- US Denies Involvement as Iraq Attacks Tikrit - March 2nd, 2015
- Pentagon Fears Growing Iran Influence in Iraq - March 2nd, 2015