Officials Hope to Court Taliban Into Reconciliation Talks
Afghanistan initially sought the release of Mullah Baradar, but he was not among those released. The only detainee identified so far as being released is former Justice Minister Mullah Turabi.
Afghanistan has a delegation in Pakistan, where the two sides are discussing ways to kickstart reconciliation talks. The Taliban has repeatedly spurned talks with the Karzai government, saying they only want to talk with the occupation forces about withdrawing.
For Pakistan, the releases are also about rebuilding their relationship with the Karzai government, which has gotten cozy with India but which has had a tense diplomatic relationship with Islamabad for years.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Al-Qaeda's Oil: Syrian Islamists Seize Fields - May 19th, 2013
- Israel Demands French TV Retract 2000 Report on Gaza Child's Killing - May 19th, 2013
- Netanyahu Threatens More Attacks on Syria - May 19th, 2013
- Karzai Heads to India to Seek More Military Aid - May 19th, 2013
- Taliban Kill 10 Police as Latest Surge of Afghan Violence Continues - May 19th, 2013