Peace Now: 1,213 New Homes Tendered
Israeli anti-settlement group Peace Now has announced that the Israeli Housing Ministry has released publications showing 1,213 new tenders for housing units in East Jerusalem settlements, a significant escalation in the expansion in the occupied city.
The group slammed the publication, noting it came immediately after Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas reiterated his own interest in cease talks, and accusing Netanyahu of using the US elections as cover for illegal moves.
Palestinian negotiator Saeb Erekat urged the US to convince Israel to halt the expansions, saying it was a “blow to peace” for Israel to expand its presence in the planned capital of a new Palestinian state.
Israel has repeatedly claimed it doesn’t consider settlements in East Jerusalem actual settlements, since it believes that anything with “Jerusalem” in the name must be part of their own “eternal, undivided capital” even if it clearly lies within occupied territory.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Saudis to Behead Over 50, Including Top Shi'ite Cleric, as 'Terrorists' - November 26th, 2015
- Russia Threatens Economic Retaliation Over Turkey Attack - November 26th, 2015
- Cameron Challenged on Claim of 70,000 Moderate Syrian Fighters - November 26th, 2015
- Russia Says 'Wiped Out' Terror Groups Near Downed Plane - November 26th, 2015
- Powers Open to 'Grand Coalition' Against ISIS - November 26th, 2015