Adding to details on the September 11 attack on the US Consulate in Benghazi, anonymous US government officials have revealed that a second site inside Benghazi was also attacked on the same day, referred to conversely as a “CIA base” and a “safehouse” in reports.
Previous reports had claimed that the CIA had to withdraw around dozens of agents who were staying at a site on the consulate’s compound when it was sacked. Now, the officials say they were staying at the other attacked site.
When the consulate was sacked and the ambassador killed, officials and CIA agents rushed to the safehouse, but were attacked several times en route, and they say that the “secret” safehouse was directly attacked at least three times itself. The site’s existence was revealed in House Intelligence Committee hearings
This has spawned controversy, as politicians dispute which side tricked the State Department into revealing the “secret.” Perhaps the bigger question is how the Obama Administration continued to believe that the attack was a protest gone wrong when it was coordinated against multiple sites and included ambushes en route.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Latest US Navy Collision Fuels Speculation About 'Hacking' - August 22nd, 2017
- US, North Korea Clash at UN Forum Over Nuclear Arms - August 22nd, 2017
- NATO Chief Declares Alliance 'Fully Committed' to US War in Afghan - August 22nd, 2017
- Haley Demands IAEA Launch New Inspections of Iran Military Sites - August 22nd, 2017
- No End in Sight for US War in Afghanistan - August 22nd, 2017