It is now day 16 of the post-Benghazi debacle, and the Obama Administration’s repeated changing of the official story on the consulate attack has become an almost unprecedented example of incompetence. Today is a fresh day though, and that means a new story.
Enter the office of the Director of National Intelligence (DNI), which is now publicly commenting, terming the attack a “deliberate and organized terrorist attack.” Perhaps more importantly, they took credit for the embarrassing previous comments in the administration.
DNI spokesman Shawn Turner conceded that the Obama Administration’s claims that the attack was “spontaneous” and just a public protest gone wrong were based on their office’s own assessment of the situation at the time. Now they say that was “premature” and they are changing their mind to the new statement.
But is it any less premature? The FBI was sent to investigate almost immediately after the attack and they still haven’t actually gotten inside the city of Benghazi, citing security concern. Officials have repeatedly conceded that they don’t have “proof” to back up their statements and more than two weeks in they still don’t seem to be speaking from anything but random guesses of what might have happened.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syrian Kurds Declare Victory in Raqqa, But Face Complicated Peace - October 17th, 2017
- Investigators: Somali Bombing May Have Been Revenge for Botched US Raid - October 17th, 2017
- Major Taliban Attacks Kill at Least 74 Across Afghanistan - October 17th, 2017
- Peshmerga: Iraqi Offensive Is a 'Declaration of War' - October 16th, 2017
- Thousands Flee as Iraqi Forces Seize Kirkuk - October 16th, 2017