Information continues to come out about the September 14 attack on Camp Bastion/Camp Leatherneck. It was already called one of the most elaborately planned Taliban operation since the 2001 US invasion, now the Taliban has released the video to prove it.
The video shows the attackers, wearing US Army uniforms just as they were during the actual attack, practicing cutting the fences to infiltrate the base, and shows them planning on targets on a whiteboard.
The attackers had an impressive understanding of the base layout, and after breaking in went straight for a hanger full of pricy Harrier jump jets, destroying six and causing $200 million in damages before US troops caught up with them. Two US Marines were slain in the fight.
NATO was trying to claim progress in the war, insisting there was a 9 percent decrease in attacks in August year over year, but if the more sophisticated sort of attacks become more common this could far outweigh any small percentage of reduction in quantity.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Urges Strict UN Sanctions on North Korea Until Denuclearization Finished - July 20th, 2018
- Merkel: Europe Can't Rely on US to Impose World Order - July 20th, 2018
- Israel, Hamas Reach Another Ceasefire After Five Killed in Friday Clashes - July 20th, 2018
- US Airstrike Killed 14 Civilians in Northern Afghanistan - July 20th, 2018
- US Adds Another $200 Million to Ukraine Military Aid - July 20th, 2018